2009 Jeep Patriot tranny issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine has a 2009 Patriot with 150k on it. This past summer it started having issues with the transmission overheating and the engine going into limp mode. It happens on hot days running down the interstate at 70mph. This is a CVT transmission. The transmission shop installed an extra cooler and did a fluid change out. But the issue still happens every so often. The shop wants to R2 the transmission. It runs fine unless it is hot out and you really work it. I'm thinking there is a sensor that is malfunctioning. Anyone have any experience with this specific transmission?

When the fluid was changed out it wasn't burnt or off color, still looked good.

Is it setting any codes? Can you scan it with a Jeep specific scanner and read the transmission?

Nissan has a TSB out for this issue and I think they use the same Jatco unit. It's usually caused by the fluid level being too high.

See what Jeep's official protocol is for the fluid level check. Nissan recently issued a bulletin stating that you need to monitor the fluid temp using their scan tool and to make sure that it is between 158-161, and even then, to only fill the fluid halfway up the crosshatched section.

Make sure that a CVTF was used. If not sure, drain the ATF and refill with CVTF.

150k isn't a bad life for a CVT.

Drive slower on the highway ;-)

Powerwash all the debris out of the front of the car. Make sure engine cooling is perfect. OE radiator, new thermostat, rad cap, antifreeze ratio, water pump, belts fans.....

2012 Patriot
A 2.0L engine is just too small for a 3000 pound car.

The only way to not accelerate a Patriot slower on the highway is to put the pedal almost to the floor. I find the drivetrain does work well at high speeds if I drive by button. That is the + and - speed control buttons. Attempting to increase speed manually causes the transmission to slip and the engine to rev higher. To preserve the CVT, use speed control.

Slow acceleration in conditions with heavy traffic and high speeds sounds dangerous. Trust fellow drivers to slow down for you. Watch for trucks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back