2009 Infiniti FX35 RWD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up a new Infiniti FX35 lastweek. Te dealer told me that the car does not need Synthetic oil because the car is not designed for synthetic oil. After researching, I think synthetic oil is much better than dyno oil. I'm planning to put MOBIL1 0W-30 because there is $10 rebates for 1 5-quart jug.

My big questions are:
1. was the dealder saying the truth about the use synthetic oil on my new FX?
2. When is the right time to switch to synthetic?

I need your helps on your expertize. Thank you in advance for your inputs.

Willy

1. IMO, there is no such thing as "not designed" or "designed" for synthetic oil. You can run synthetic in your engine, however, during the warranty period you will probably have to stick to the recommended oil change intervals anyway, so you will not gain the full benefit of running synthetic oil.

2. Any time is fine. A lot of cars come with synthetic in their crankcase straight from the factory.

the VQ35 and the VK45 that is based on it are both a little problematic when it comes to oil. during the warranty period, figure on using the recommended oil (5w30?) and at the recommend OCI. M1 is a fine oil for the infiniti, as is PP. my FX45 has done fairly well on M1 0w40, but i will be changing to Delvac1 for the next run, to see if i can get the wear numbers down a bit. do a search on the VQ35 in the oil analysis forum for a whole gaggle of OAs on this engine.

nice ride.

I have a '05 Infiniti G35 sedan, so we basicly have the same engine. I have ran full synthetic 5W-30 from the first oil change with 8K mile change intervals. At first I ran M1, but now run Q Horsepower for the last two changes. I have had zero problems with this and now have 35K miles on my G.

Go to G35driver.com for great info about our engines. There is a place on their forums for other Infiniti models. Go into the engine section for G35 models and search synthetic oil. Most use full synthetic.

Ran Mobil 1 5w30 or 10w30 (can't remember) in our '02 Infiniti QX4 with the VQ35 at 7500 mile OCI's, and the motor never skipped a beat...at least until we sold it with 99k on the odometer.

The VQ35 is known for running higher oil temperatures when driven hard, so I would personally only use synthetic oil in that engine. Just leave the factory fill in there for at least 1k miles before switching to any brand of synthetic.

Hello RumbleG, thank you for the input. I will check the forum you gave to me.

Last edited:
Hello All: Thank you for the input. It makes me confident to change to synthetic oil. I have done a lot of research, almost every website/forum says synthetic oil is much better.

Again, Thank you. I just switch my Honda accord to syn oil also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back