2009 Indy 500 Log

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rszappa1
Are there any American Made engines from GM/Ford of Cyrysler??

Does the pace car count?

It's still the great American race (Memorial Day, Indy, you know). When is the last time the Big 3 had engines at Indy, the 50's? Now NASCAR, that's another story.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
It's still the great American race (Memorial Day, Indy, you know). When is the last time the Big 3 had engines at Indy, the 50's? Now NASCAR, that's another story.

Darn right it's the Great American Race! Beats the heck out of the so-called "World Series" in baseball. Funny how only American and Canadian teams ever make it in. Too bad Germany, or Japan, or Cuba, or China never make it to the "World" series. Ha!
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: Johnny
They had Toyota, Honda and Chevy in the 90s.

Once the split happened a few years later they went with one mfg for engines. And a few spec'd chassis to keep the costs low.

So how many engines are in the race today made by different mfg?

Any way you look at it, there was more competition back then.

I'd rather watch a Indycar race than ANY NASCAR. I've tried to watch and get interested and just can not see any racing.

I long for the old CART days and them running at Road America, Laguna Seca and Cleveland Airport.

That was racing...

The weather was perfect Wednesday for Community Day at the speedway. Plenty of vintage racecars on display on pit lane, full access to the garages, and of course you get to take your own car around the track for a lap. The video I took can be found here.

They were running what they called a Chevy engine as late as 2005. I think it was based on the old Buick aluminum V-6 run as Novis, Buicks, Menards, Oldsmobiles, and lastly Chevies. I suspect the Chevy engines in 2005 were as closely related to the Ecotec in my Cavalier as the Honda engines this year are to whatever is in the Civic.

This is Indy? Hondas, women, GEICO? When does 50 cents replace Jim Nabors?

Originally Posted By: labman
They were running what they called a Chevy engine as late as 2005. I think it was based on the old Buick aluminum V-6 run as Novis, Buicks, Menards, Oldsmobiles, and lastly Chevies. I suspect the Chevy engines in 2005 were as closely related to the Ecotec in my Cavalier as the Honda engines this year are to whatever is in the Civic.

This is Indy? Hondas, women, GEICO? When does 50 cents replace Jim Nabors?

not even close. they were built by Ilmor and then Cosworth. no relation to any production motor. the Buick V6's were based on the stock block, but they were obsolete in the early 90s.

I don't think so. They are out of Indycar due to not being able to get a sponsor.

Rahal is spending all his time in the Le Mans Series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back