2009 Hyundai Sonata UOA 5 Speed AT SP-III

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first used ATF analysis on this vehicle and in general. While it's been 16k miles since last change, I only do drain-and-fill changes so only about 50% of fluid comes out. Previous services were at 33K and 63K miles. Only OEM SP-III was used both times. At the 79k miles (last) change, I dumped in the half quart of SP-III I had left and then Valvoline Import ATF (synthetic, SP-III compatible) to get to full. So based on my math, the transmission now is 14% factory fill, 41% OEM SP-III (purchased from dealer) and 45% Valvoline. This sample is about 25% original fill and rest is dealer-sold SP-III ATF poured in at different times.

OK, what I'd like to hear is any opinion on the numbers below. The lab (Titan) mentioned that everything looked fine with the exception of Aluminum which was high. I haven't noticed any improvement over the years of doing ATF changes but also never any issues. Now that I am the primary driver I notice that there is a little bit of a whine in 4th but not bad. Overall, I'd say shifting is smooth up and down. So wondering how worrisome the numbers below are. Thanks in advance.

Code:

Miles on unit 78,800

Miles on fluid 16,000

Sample date 12/4/2015

Fluid used Hyundai SP-III

ELEMENTS

Aluminum 47

Chromium 0

Iron 91

Copper 26

Lead 0

Tin 2

Nickel 6

Silver 0

Vanadium 0

Molybdenum 0

Manganese 1

Titanium 0

Calcium 97

Magnesium 1

Phosphorus 260

Zinc 22

Barium 2

Antimony 1

Boron 58

Sodium 4

Silicon 16

Potassium 2

PROPERTIES

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 49.10

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 7.00

Flashpoint in °F N/A

Fuel % Negative

Coolant % Negative

Water % Negative

Last edited:
I did 2 D&Rs on the FF in my 2008 Elantra using Valvoline Maxlife ATF at approximately 30K. I did the same again at 60K. The tranny shifts perfectly now at 65K.

PS: A D&R only gets about 1.75 qts. out so I am replacing 3.5 qts. each time. Maxlife seems to be a perfect match for my Hyundai.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Viscosity is great.

Wear numbers are normal.

I would keep the drain/refill interval at 20k.

Good advice re: interval. Per comments from the lab: "Check for abnormal noise/performance. Resample at half the normal interval."

As much as I like the idea of extended change intervals, don't think I can do that here. Plan to use Valvoline ATF again which I have handy. Probably at 100K miles if not sooner.

UPDATE: I drained and re-filled w/ Valvoline Import FS ATF this weekend. It's been about 15K miles since my original post. No dramatic change in performance but downshift from 4th to 3rd has been a bit rougher than I'd prefer. Don't know if I just recently started noticing it or it's been there for a while...

The fluid did not smell burnt but was by no means clean and red like virgin fluid. (I remember how nice used Dex/Merc ATF looked in my old 4EAT in Subaru Forester.) It was fairly dark and more brown than red. The drain plug magnet had a layer of metal but a whole lot, maybe half mm incl. actual ATF. I'm not really sure how much is too much at this stage but it wasn't like there was a ton of sludge or huge shavings.

Based on my calc, what came out was 15% factory fill, 40% dealer-sourced SPIII ATF and 45% Valvoline from the Dec 2015 fill. Now the transcase is 70% Valvoline. So far shifting seems just a little bit smoother but it has only been like 30-40 miles since the Saturday D&F so too early to tell.

P.S. Sent a sample to the lab and will post results when they become available.

Last edited:
Results are in. Not much different than last time, I suppose, but to be expected as I do just one drain every time I service the A/T and do not disconnect any hoses.

And downshift from 4th to 3rd is more smooth after the most recent D&F. I think this Vavloline fluid is pretty good.

Code:

Miles on unit 78,800 93,700

Miles on fluid 16,000 14,900

Sample date 12/4/2015 4/29/2017

Fluid used Hyundai SP-III Hyundai SP-III / Valvoline Import FS

ELEMENTS

Aluminum 47 36

Chromium 0 0

Iron 91 67

Copper 26 22

Lead 0 0

Tin 2 1

Nickel 6 3

Silver 0 0

Vanadium 0 0

Molybdenum 0 0

Manganese 1 0

Titanium 0 0

Calcium 97 97

Magnesium 1 0

Phosphorus 260 222

Zinc 22 4

Barium 2 0

Antimony 1 0

Boron 58 62

Sodium 4 1

Silicon 16 12

Potassium 2 0

PROPERTIES

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 49.10 48.80

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 7.00 6.90

Flashpoint in °F N/A N/A

Fuel % Negative Negative

Coolant % Negative Negative

Water % Negative Negative

Just an added note to Hyundai users who's cars/trucks came with Hyundai's SP4-M (2013 1/2 and after) THAT oil is a group 5 Ester based oil. So adding anything but Redline (group 5) would be a sub-standard oil quality/robustness move in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: Mainia
Just an added note to Hyundai users who's cars/trucks came with Hyundai's SP4-M (2013 1/2 and after) THAT oil is a group 5 Ester based oil. So adding anything but Redline (group 5) would be a sub-standard oil quality/robustness move in my opinion.

Do you have any links to this information? I haven't been able to find anything on the SP4-M regarding the composition. I've only seen UOAs that haven't been very positive. Not that the oil doesn't protect well, it just doesn't hold up well over time.

Originally Posted By: Mainia
I read it from their info. I will see if I can hunt that down. Can you link me to any UOAs?

I saw it in a Hyundai sheet that looked just like this, but then it had "ester" wording in it. Now it does not.

http://static1.1.sqspcdn.com/static/f/10...Sheet-FINAL.pdf

So I found the thread on hyundai-forums, but the guy posted it on Photobucket, so of course the image is gone. I'll keep looking for some others though. Like I said though, the wear was fine. I think it's a perfectly fine oil, but I remember it shearing a bit and his interval wasn't exactly super long. I just don't think there would be much of a difference between SP IV-M and Amsoil/Redline/Pennzoil/etc and those would be cheaper than the SP IV-M.

Edit: here's the link. Like I said though, the ATF UOA has been photobucket'd. However, it is an interesting UOA thread if you own/are interested in Hyundai's.
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/yf-2011-sonata-i45/135244-oil-analysis-reports-only-3.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back