2009 Hyundai Elantra ATF decision

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put Amsoil Universal into my wife's '07 Elantra, didn't like it at all, the shifts were too slippery. When my brother in law borrowed the car, he's a mechanic, I hadn't told him about the ATF exchange to Amsoil, and he said the tranny is about to fail. That's how bad it felt. So then from reading Hyundai forums, I decided to put in ATF+4 and that works great. That was about 80K miles ago that I put in ATF+4, still running great on the same fluid, and the car has about 140K total miles now. The AT fluid still looks like new. I have the same experience in my Dodge/Chryslers, ATF+4 is really good stuff. The SP-III was worn out before 50K miles, it looked terrible when I did the first fluid exchange.

I am a big fan of getting out the factory fill fluid and the break-in materials therein. Many vehicles are "fill for life"; I'm not a fan of this, although I do believe really long OCIs are possible AFTER you flush out the break-in residuals.

Whether you do a drain/fill or a line-flush method, really probably won't matter much.

If you are inclined to run longer OCIs, then consider any of the typical syn high-end names like MaxLife, Amsoil, etc. And then don't worry about it for a LONG time. You will be out of warranty before you'd have to worry about lube issues.

Do it this way:
1) analyze your operating conditions
2) determine a maintenance plan
3) choose a complimentary fluid

I used to have an 05 Elantra and from what mechanics told me, Elantra's have fragile transmissions that like to chew up fluid. Just spring for the OEM fluid and do drain and fills every 30k miles for peace of mind. Almost like clock work every 30k miles, I could feel my tranny shifting a bit rougher, signaling me to change out the fluid. The fluid that would come out was pretty dark every time.

Last edited:
I do a drain & fill every 15K miles on my '10 Elantra which gets out 3 qrts of Hyundai SPIII . On this Elantra it's easier than changing the oil !! I would just stay with SPIII and call it a day ...

I have done 4 drain and fills with walmart heavy duty tractor fluid in my 03 elantra. I have about 15 K since the 4th drain and fill. If you want the least amount of slip run tractor fluid. It shifts firm but not harsh. You can really feel the TC lockup with tractor fluid. I have used it in 3 other vehicles. I have had same results as well.

Quote:
Has anyone seen a UOA for Castrol Multi-Import? I contacted Castrol requesting one, haven't found one here.

This is the response I received:

Thank you for contacting Castrol North America.

Castrol always recommends following the guidelines of the original engine manufacturer for the recommended fluid for use in your specific application. This information can be found in the vehicles owner's manual or by contacting the manufacturer directly.

Additionally, for information on all Castrol products (motor oils, ATF, brake fluid, greases, gear oils), please refer to the Products & Services section for "Cars, Vans, Trucks, SUV" of the Castrol US web page (www.castrol.com/us).

According to Castrol's Recommendations Guide recommended for the 2009 Hyundai Elantra is the Castrol Transmax Import Multi-Vehicle ATF. Castrol Transmax Import Multi-Vehicle ATF meets the SP-II and SP-III specifications and may be used in your application.

Unfortunately, the information you are requesting is not available. Please find attached the product data sheet for the Castrol Transmax Import Multi-Vehicle ATF for your personal reference.

Castrol Consumer Relations

Remember, it is highly unlikely that auto manufactures make its own ATF, so always refer to the owner's manual for a fluid that meets the correct requirements, at minumum.

Here is a photo of Valvoline vs. Castrol. Maxlife meets both SP-III & IV, IMV says SP-III only.
E2127A32-7B3C-4B49-9730-FE87D514A071-13702-000011882BB0090D_zps041340ef.jpg

Out of curiosity what are the best places to get either multi import or maxlife. My local wallmart(supercenter) seems to not have maxlife lately. Local autozone does not carry either, and I don't want to do too much driving.

Hey guys first post! Been reading bitog for a while decided to pull the trigger and join! Anyway, I changed out my 2010 kia optima (4cyl) atf with maxlife at 60k. Was black not red. Did another 1k later and looked much better. Took 4.5 qts both times and trans feels great! Have about 1k on what I figure to be 75% maxlife. Also did 1 drain and fill on my moms 2010 sonata same fluid at 72k last weekend, FF that came out was BLACK! ML went in, so far so good. Don't be afraid of the ML. Good luck

BTW, picked up the maxlife at autozone Sun for 18.99 for 4 qts. Aap will match that price, great deal on the ML. Aap had the gallon jug of it. Az just had the quarts.

Quote:
I put Amsoil Universal into my wife's '07 Elantra, didn't like it at all, the shifts were too slippery.

Anyone else with this experience? Are the trannys the same in the 07 and 09 Elantras, I think so? Did you get an explanation for this Keith? That's a lot of money for top shelf fluid for it not to work in an application it is approved for. Did you contact Amsoil about this? You did an exchange, right, not just D&R?

100% fluid exchange by cooler hose method. I have not had good results with Amsoil Universal ATF, YMMV. It also caused excessive slippage in our '99 Dodge Grand Caravan 41TE. Then I did contact Amsoil and they told me their ATF was great, your transmission must be defective. So I put ATF+4 back in and ran it another 170K miles before trading the van with no transmission problems. It must have been a very slowly developing defect
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: schuylkill
Quote:
I put Amsoil Universal into my wife's '07 Elantra, didn't like it at all, the shifts were too slippery.

Anyone else with this experience? Are the trannys the same in the 07 and 09 Elantras, I think so? Did you get an explanation for this Keith? That's a lot of money for top shelf fluid for it not to work in an application it is approved for. Did you contact Amsoil about this? You did an exchange, right, not just D&R?

Not an apples to apples comparison, but I had Amsoil Universal ATF in my 01 and was happy with it... Right up until it exploded in pieces in an unrelated to ATF boo-boo.

SevenBizzos,
Quote:
I didn't even replace the fluid on our '04 until 90k and (other than the shifting points) never had even the slightest issue with it for the 145k life of the car (totaled).

What fluid did you use?

Just found this and find it very interesting. By Cup of Joe. I'm still debating what to use but this makes me wonder why Hyundai isn't updating the SPiii requirement. Vis@100 4.53 after 26K.
Quote:
Factory fill of SPIII, lab was OAI. I am looking for comments from someone smarter then eye as to how this looks. Another question, doesn't this look allot like Mercon V? Refilled with SPIII.

Iron 36
Chromium 0
Lead 0
Copper 42
Tin 3
Aluminum 24
Nickel 0
Silver 0
Silicon 16
Boron 34
Sodium 5
Magesium 2
Calcium 67
Barium 0
Phosphorus 198
Zinc 16
Moly 0
Titanium 0
Vanadium 0
Potassium 0
Vis@100 4.53
TAN 1.16
Solids TR

Any and all comments will be greatly appreciated.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=971671

Originally Posted By: schuylkill
SevenBizzos,
Quote:
I didn't even replace the fluid on our '04 until 90k and (other than the shifting points) never had even the slightest issue with it for the 145k life of the car (totaled).

What fluid did you use?

That car was only in my wife's (then g/f) name and she didn't think I could do it. I caved in and had the dealer do it (because it wasn't my car). $169 for something I could have done for $50. I'll assume they used Hyundai.

The Sonata that replaced it is ours and we're a little more thrifty these days. I do all of the maintenance now. MaxLife works just fine.

So which Valvoline product is the best fit here, IMV or Maxlife? I didn't really know there were two choices, I thought it was just Maxlife and then Castrol IMV as another option. It seems that Valvoline IMV is a closer fit to the Hyundai SPiii fluid.

Also found this interesting post by Hokiefyd about the 2 fluids:
Quote:
I wanted to update this post because I used some of this fluid tonight. Last time I changed the ATF on the CR-V, I found the aluminum washer to be leaking and all I had on hand at the time was an 18mm fiber washer. I used it and it seemed to work. When I serviced our Acura's ATF recently, I used one of these fiber washers on its drain plug and it leaked like a sieve. The fiber washer actually split in two. And I didn't torque it down much at all. So I became paranoid about this washer on the CR-V and bought an aluminum washer today for it...so I wouldn't drain the transmission if the fiber washer decided to give up going down the road. I also thought I'd try a few quarts of the Valvoline IMV ATF. I bought two quarts of it and completed the fill with some of the gallon of Valvoline MaxLife ATF I have on hand.

I will say that the shifting from the transmission is immediately smoother with just two quarts of the IMV fluid. Where the MaxLife produces a very firm shift, the IMV fluid almost mimics the OEM DW-1 fluid in its smoothness. I only have two quarts in it now, but there was a marked increase in shift smoothness. I personally thought the DW-1 was too soft/loose (especially in the Acura), and while I don't mind the shifts on MaxLife, I wouldn't want them any firmer either.

It's apparent to me that Valvoline's IMV product is a more friction-modified fluid than the MaxLife ATF. The MaxLife adheres to Dex III and other fluids that aren't as friction-modified as some of the Asian transmissions (or at least Honda units). While this seems to produce no harm to the Asian transmissions, and indeed may extend their life through better clutch wear, shifting is markedly firmer, at least in my experience.

If you are looking for an OEM-like shift quality, but want easier-to-find fluid, the Valvoline IMV may be a good choice. It's not exactly cheap, at $6.49/qt at Advance Auto (I think AutoZone may have it for $6.29/qt). But it is easier to acquire if you don't have a Honda dealer nearby. And I think it's superior fluid anyway, and will likely hold its properties longer than DW-1 does.

I think my perfect blend might be one quart of this to two quarts of MaxLife on each drain/fill.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2666843&page=1

Valvoline IMV:
Product Information
A PRODUCT OF VALVOLINE
Import Multi-Vehicle ATF
Valvoline Import Multi-Vehicle ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) is specifically formulated for use in most Toyota, Nissan, Honda and other imported vehicles. It is formulated with all synthetic base stocks and sophisticated additive system to ensure optimal transmission performance in wide variety of vehicles. Valvoline Import Multi-Vehicle ATF can also be used in many domestic vehicles. It meets requirements of General Motors and Ford vehicles
The Valvoline Import Multi-Vehicle ATF Advantages:
• Full synthetic fluid
• Reduces varnish and sludge formation
• Protects against wear
• Improves and maintains smooth shifting over long service intervals
• Provides excellent flow properties at low temperatures and greater film protection at high temperatures
Performance Levels
Recommended for use in GM, Ford, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Hyundai and other imported vehicles
Suitable for use in:
Ford MERCON® and MERCON®V applications
GM DEXRON®-II and DEXRON®-III applications
BMW LT 71141, ETL-7045E and M-1375.4 applications
Nissan/Infiniti Nissan ATF, Matic D, Matic K and Matic J applications
Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II and SP-III applications
Subaru ATF-HP
Hyundai/ KIA SP-II, SP-III and SP-IV applications
Toyota/Lexus Type T, T-III and T-IV applications
Honda/Acura ATF-Z1 (except in CVTs) applications
Mercedes Benz NAG1 applications
Volvo passenger car applications
Volkswagen/Audi TL52162
Test
Typical Property
Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt
Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt
Viscosity Index
Calcium, mass %
Phosphorus, mass %
Specific Gravity @ 60°F
Pour Point, °C,
Brookfield Viscosity @ -40°C, cP
Appearance
Red
Effective Date: 08/23/2012
Replaces: 06/11/2012
Alexey Stiop
Doc #-Rev 03

Maxlife:
MAXLIFE™ DEX/MERC ATF
Valvoline MaxLife™ DEX/MERC ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) is the first fluid of its kind that is specifically formulated for the broadest range of today’s technologically sophisticated automatic transmissions. It is formulated with synthetic base stocks, unique seal conditioners, long-life friction modifiers, special anti-wear additives, and shear stable viscosity modifiers, among other components to fight the four major causes of transmission breakdown: leaks, slippage, shudder and gear wear.
Valvoline has conducted extensive in-house testing, independent lab testing, and field-testing to support MaxLife ATF performance in the broadest range of transmissions; however, it should be noted that MaxLife ATF is not a OEM licensed product. The respective vehicle manufacturers have neither evaluated nor endorsed MaxLife ATF in these applications. If an OEM licensed product is preferred we recommend Valvoline DEXRON® VI, Valvoline ATF+4® and Valvoline MERCON®V for the corresponding applications.
The Valvoline MaxLife™ ATF Advantages:
• Synthetic fluid
• Conditions transmission seals to prevent leaks
• Reduces varnish formation and wear
• Our best anti-shudder performance
• Improves and maintains smooth shifting longer than conventional automatic transmission fluids
• Superior anti-shudder performance
• Provides excellent flow properties at low temperatures and greater film protection at high temperatures
• Maximizes the life of higher mileage transmissions
Performance Levels
Suitable for use in:
Ford MERCON®, MERCON®V, MERCON®SP and MERCON®LV applications
GM DEXRON®-II, DEXRON®-III and DEXRON®-VI applications
Nissan/Infiniti Matic D, Matic J, Matic K, and Matic S applications
Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II and SP-III applications
Hyundai/ KIA SP-II, SP-III, SP-IV and SPH-IV applications
Subaru ATF and ATF-HP applications
Toyota/Lexus Type T, T-III, T-IV and WS
Honda/Acura ATF-Z1 (except in CVTs) applications
Allison C4 and TES-389 applications
Mercedes Benz NAG1 applications
Volvo passenger car applications and STD 1273.41
Volkswagen TL52162
The above constitutes only a partial list of applications approved by Valvoline. Please contact us at 1-800-Team-VAL for additional applications.
Valvoline does not recommend MaxLife ATF for use in most continuously variable transmissions (CVTs) and in dual clutch transmissions (DCTs) unless specifically noted, nor in automatic transmissions where Ford Type F fluids are recommended.
Valvoline stands behind all of its products, including MaxLife ATF. Use of MaxLife ATF in transmissions where recommended by Valvoline WILL NOT void the vehicle’s warranty. In the unlikely event that you or your customer experiences any transmission damage while using MaxLife ATF in a Valvoline recommended application, please contact Valvoline at 1-800-Team-VAL for assistance.
Test
Typical Property
Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt
Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt
Viscosity Index
Specific Gravity @ 60°F
Pour Point, °C,
Brookfield Viscosity @ -40°C, cP
Flash Point, COC, °C
ASTM Color
Appearance
Red
Effective Date: 2012.09.14
Replaces: 2012.03.30
Thom Smith
Doc #-Rev 16

I've used both in the past. Each time I did a couple D&F to change as much as I could. A vacuum or push pump would be helpful if you're really concerned. Both cars still have the original ATF filters.

IMO, the Maxlife performs much better. I noticed smoother shifts compared to Hyundai or IMV. Each flush, the old ATF still looked clean after 45K miles (factory was very dirty after only 30K miles).
Plus it is a synthetic ATF that could provide better wear and breakdown protection vs OE. Might try 60K mile intervals if I don't notice and hard shifting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back