2009 Honda Fit, Mobil 1 HM 5W-20, 7,128 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This car has seen 7-10k oil change intervals with 5W-20 synthetic (mostly Mobil 1) since the 30K mile mark. I have done most of the oil services on this car. When this oil was installed at 143K, a valve clearance adjustment and a spark plug replacement were also performed.

Also, this oil fill was Mobil 1 High Mileage 5W-20, not regular Mobil 1. The Oil Life Monitor was at 40%. This car sees mostly highway stop-and-go driving and the fill was in service for about 5 months. The air filter was a Wix that has been in service for 20K. Oil Filter was Genuine Honda.

I think the Fuel Dilution is due to the oil sample being taken when the engine was not fully warmed up. The car was here for a starter replacement and I only ran the car for about 5-10 minutes before taking the oil sample.

This Honda fit engine is as low-wearing as the Toyota's. I would run the OLM down to 0% and do another UOA to see if the iron ppm will break double digit.

How the trans oil? I had to replace mine yearly due to "shearing"

This is for MT only.

Too bad I put LubriMoly in my 20?? and killed it. I knew I shouldn't have caved to the additive fanboyz around here.
Lesson Learned (Again!)

does the 09 have the firmer suspension before they slopped it?

Doe that have the real power VTEC?

Despite the fuel dilution, the viscosity was still perfect. Very low metal wear numbers, nice run. I would definitely stretch out the interval to 9-10k, seeing how the TBN is still at 5.1

Numbers are low car has a lot of oil for its swept volume. Hard wear is captured the filter ( and the pickup screen if they are BIG bits) Most of the noted wear in the UOA is chemical etching and EP conversion.

IIRC 3.5L sump The Critic?

Engine is def worn in but likely not OUT yet
smile.gif

How is static compression?

There is a formula IV racing version of this motor.

Note: No exhaust manifold - same on production FITs but with close coupled catalyst.
Also note COP ignition thru the exhaust runners cast in head. YIKES!

Very good looking numbers. Looks like a bit of fuel dilution.
You might extend your OCI a bit but I'd look at 7500 before going to 10K.

Last edited:
What was the MM % when you sent it in. 40%? That would be the best usage of this data point to see if it lines up.

Especially since you are driving regularly this seems like a very conservative oci you haven't even exceeded honda rec.

If I recall for the 2nd gen Fit, in typical freeway use you could get about 12000 miles before the mm called for a change on conv. With a premium synthetic i wouldn't expect any issues until 15k.

Given this is an efficient higher MPG car this doesn't seem as crazy if you switch to a fuel used metric instead of miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Very good looking numbers. Looks like a bit of fuel dilution.
You might extend your OCI a bit but I'd look at 7500 before going to 10K.

This was an unusually short run. The oil usually gets changed at about 10-11k. The car was here for a starter, so I changed the oil at the same time.

Originally Posted By: John_Dude
Despite the fuel dilution, the viscosity was still perfect. Very low metal wear numbers, nice run. I would definitely stretch out the interval to 9-10k, seeing how the TBN is still at 5.1

Yes, and the TBN is only 8 when the oil is new. Mobil seems to be doing a very good job with blending oils that are capable of long drains.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
How the trans oil? I had to replace mine yearly due to "shearing"

This is for MT only.

Too bad I put LubriMoly in my 20?? and killed it. I knew I shouldn't have caved to the additive fanboyz around here.
Lesson Learned (Again!)

does the 09 have the firmer suspension before they slopped it?

Doe that have the real power VTEC?

Not sure on the VTEC, but the suspension is fairly firm.

Sump capacity is 3.6L or 3.8 quarts. I drain and refill the auto trans oil every 20-30k with Honda ATF-DW1. Looking back at the records, it has been done 7 times.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
What was the MM % when you sent it in. 40%? That would be the best usage of this data point to see if it lines up.

Especially since you are driving regularly this seems like a very conservative oci you haven't even exceeded honda rec.

If I recall for the 2nd gen Fit, in typical freeway use you could get about 12000 miles before the mm called for a change on conv. With a premium synthetic i wouldn't expect any issues until 15k.

Given this is an efficient higher MPG car this doesn't seem as crazy if you switch to a fuel used metric instead of miles.

Not a bad idea. Yes, 40% remaining when sample was taken. The engine was very clean when I did the valve clearance adjustment. I will see if I can find a picture.

Here is a picture of the engine at 143K when I performed the valve clearance adjustment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back