2009 Grand Cherokee 4.7L, wants 5W-20 other option

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, 5W-20. :)

I was thinking they suggested that oil due to fuel mileage claims when testing for EPA or something and HAD to require it. I usually recall seeing a viscosity/climate chart in most owners manuals, none found here though.

Originally Posted By: Geonerd
I doubt any sales receipts you'd save as proof of maint. will mention the grade of oil. Go ahead and buy xW-30. No one will ever know the difference.

Mo Thickah is Mo Bettah!
wink.gif

All my sales receipts clearly state the brand of oil and the grade, as well as the filter. If you shop at AAP, Auto zone, or PB have a look next time you buy oil. If the dealer services the car that could be another story.

Exactly. It's his first concern. Was the oil changed in some reasonable time/mileage frame of the manufacturer's recommendation. If it wasn't, then he's into more work/hassle etc. He doesn't have to determine if the oil was a contributing factor in the failure.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I worked in 5 different dealerships while trying to make a career change. Depending on just what the claim is and how much the repair will cost determines how much of a hassle it is going to be. Dealership sales volume comes into play too in cases of a big claim. It seems the bigger dealerships sometimes have more pull, that was the case with a big Honda Dealership I worked at. The MFG reps can really bust balls if they want to.

Now back on topic, a 20 grade oil will work just fine in the 09 Jeep, and not cause warranty issues.

I based the above statement on real world experiences working in auto sales, and knowing the service managers very well. What people fail to realize that if a major claim occurs and the car is down while waiting for a resolution it is that person who is not driving their car. Business goes on at the dealership uninterrupted. I've seen cars parked for a month or more waiting for issues to be resolved, the customers were not happy. The staff still rides home and their life continues w/o issue, it's the customer who is SOL.

All I'm saying is why chance it? Or if you feel you really have to run a 30Wt oil in a car spec'd for a 20Wt, make sure you keep 2 sets of books, and hope you never have a problem, or if you do you're a lucky person.

Thanks for the replies.

While we are on the topic, the Jeep is now at 1,500 miles and I plan to change to M-1 Syn now. What OCI do you recommend? I usually go 6-8K miles between changes with M-1.

IIRC Jeep suggests 6 months or 7,500 mile OCI's which ever comes first, so I would stick to that. Check the OM to be certain.

I'd stick to the interval more than the viscosity grade. We're in a similar situation with our 2007 Chrysler Town & Country. 5W-20 grade only, powertrain has a lifetime warranty. I've used both 5W-20 and 5W-30, but I've never extended the OCI passed 5,000 miles. Many on a Chrysler minivan board I'm on say their dealer puts in all sorts of oil on their vans (5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30, whatever they have at the time). I'm thinking grade doesn't matter near as much as the actual change interval.

I worked in 5 different dealerships while trying to make a career change. Depending on just what the claim is and how much the repair will cost determines how much of a hassle it is going to be. Dealership sales volume comes into play too in cases of a big claim. It seems the bigger dealerships sometimes have more pull, that was the case with a big Honda Dealership I worked at. The MFG reps can really bust balls if they want to.

Now back on topic, a 20 grade oil will work just fine in the 09 Jeep, and not cause warranty issues.

I based the above statement on real world experiences working in auto sales, and knowing the service managers very well. What people fail to realize that if a major claim occurs and the car is down while waiting for a resolution it is that person who is not driving their car. Business goes on at the dealership uninterrupted. I've seen cars parked for a month or more waiting for issues to be resolved, the customers were not happy. The staff still rides home and their life continues w/o issue, it's the customer who is SOL.

All I'm saying is why chance it? Or if you feel you really have to run a 30Wt oil in a car spec'd for a 20Wt, make sure you keep 2 sets of books, and hope you never have a problem, or if you do you're a lucky person.

Excellent response.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

Excellent response.
cheers3.gif

Thank you!
cheers3.gif
Many times the customers come back complaining to the salesman that sold them the car that service was giving them grief. Ask me how I know!

Originally Posted By: FrankN4
No one is going to tell you to use anything other than what the warranty calls for due to legal liability. I will tell you "FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY" that my daughter uses Mobil 1 10W-30 in her 2008 Jeep as per dealer recommendation.

We all know how smart those dealership guys are. I have a hunch those same 'dealers' that gave your daughter the recommendation also swear Pennzoil and QS sludge engines. This was most likely the lube tech that makes $8/hr but the other trained 'mechanics' are not much better.

Originally Posted By: milwaukee
Originally Posted By: FrankN4
No one is going to tell you to use anything other than what the warranty calls for due to legal liability. I will tell you "FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY" that my daughter uses Mobil 1 10W-30 in her 2008 Jeep as per dealer recommendation.

We all know how smart those dealership guys are. I have a hunch those same 'dealers' that gave your daughter the recommendation also swear Pennzoil and QS sludge engines. This was most likely the lube tech that makes $8/hr but the other trained 'mechanics' are not much better.

I basically agree.

My daughter bought her Jeep at one of those big Southeastern mega dealers with a celebrity name. The service manager is a suit and tie man in an office. I told him that my daughters life, and the lives of others, depended upon the reliability of her Jeep. There was no way we would use 5W-20 oil in that engine and no way she would buy the Jeep without a certainty of the warranty. The service manager agreed and recommended M1 10W-30 as it was used by many of their Jeep customers. When she takes her Jeep in for service, she can't let it out of her sight and she has to drive it onto the lift, they can't get inside of it. They most certainly use M1 10W-30 and now Wix filters. She gets a service receipt from the dealer, 100% warranty protection but she has a limited warranty so I am not so concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back