2009 Grand Cherokee 4.7L, wants 5W-20 other option

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking forward to first oil change in the new 4.7L Grand Cherokee.

The manual says to use 5W-20, could a 5W-30, or 0W-30 Mobil-1 be used, or should I stick with the 5W-20 recommendation?

Thanks,
John

Do you want to be able to make a warranty claim in the event of engine failure with a company that has changed owners and offers a "lifetime" deal?

Yes or no. 0W-30 or 5W-30 will protect the engine fine, as will 5W-20, but it is a question if on the off chance something does happen will you be stuck with a bill for a rebuilt engine.

Use 5W-20, for the reasons stated above. It will protect the engine just fine. If you're worried, spend the extra money, and go with a 5W-20 synthetic. But stay with the grade and interval dictated by the manufacturer, to avoid ANY hassles you may have....

You'll do just fine with the 5W20, no worries. I had the same questions as you when it was time for my first OC on my 08 Jeep. After a lot of time reading, making calls and asking a lot of questions I came to the conclusion that a 20 grade oil would be the best option for me. JMO

No one is going to tell you to use anything other than what the warranty calls for due to legal liability. I will tell you "FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY" that my daughter uses Mobil 1 10W-30 in her 2008 Jeep as per dealer recommendation.

'THEY"would never know if it was a "30".Same as 'THEY"would never know if it had Amsoil ATF or whatever in it etc.I spent 39 years in shops.25 or so in dealers.Maintenance records were asked for but WHAT fluids were in a vehicle NEVER was.NEVER.Just how OFTEN serviced and proof sometimes on BIG claims.Even independent adjusters LOOKED and sometimes felt something on a finger but NEVER asked if it was a 20,30 or 50wt and so on.NEVER.I handled lots and lots of BIG claims over the years with factory involvement,insurance and service contract policy's.The weight or brand of a fliud I cannot EVER remember being asked or questioned.

Last edited:
Well there ya go- hounddog will pay for your engine if THEY ever deny a claim!

I have heard, can't prove it, that some manufacturers have indeed done an oil analysis when faced with a high dollar warranty claim..

I guess my big question is- Why risk it?

I worked in 5 different dealerships while trying to make a career change. Depending on just what the claim is and how much the repair will cost determines how much of a hassle it is going to be. Dealership sales volume comes into play too in cases of a big claim. It seems the bigger dealerships sometimes have more pull, that was the case with a big Honda Dealership I worked at. The MFG reps can really bust balls if they want to.

Now back on topic, a 20 grade oil will work just fine in the 09 Jeep, and not cause warranty issues.

Originally Posted By: SkyPup

I have heard, can't prove it, that some manufacturers have indeed done an oil analysis when faced with a high dollar warranty claim..

Good question, I hear ya!!! Man, 5w20 must be some second rate junk.
smirk2.gif
Some folks wanting to run other viscosities while under warranty.

I don't get it. If there's no other option listed for the temperature range in your area, I'd run the 5w20.
21.gif

I doubt any sales receipts you'd save as proof of maint. will mention the grade of oil. Go ahead and buy xW-30. No one will ever know the difference.

Mo Thickah is Mo Bettah!
wink.gif

Yes I confess to using back spec'd 5W20.
21.gif
However this time around I'm using some orphan qts so there is a hint of 5w30 in the mix.

go with GTX 5W-20 if you want a thick 20 weight and keep your warranty in tact. Or choose a proven Syn 5w-20 and stick with it and if you chose to go with a 30 weight after the warranty is up fire away.

Last edited:
I have handled every kind of Extended warranty,Factory,Insurance claim there about ever has been.I have had months that it made up about $50,000 in parts and labor sales.The AFTERMARKET EXTENDED warranties(service contracts)are THE worst for denying claims.I have had claims denied for sludge,burnt fluids,original filters,(never changed)abuse etc.But NEVER asked the BRAND or WEIGHT of a fliud in a differential,transmission or engine.Seen many total brake failures due to OIL in brake master cylinders and such(Thank you Quick lubes!BIG easy $TICKETS!).The guidelines are kinda broad also.Maintenance has to be the MINIMUM as PER the owners manual to be compliant.Unless somethings changed over the last few years thats how it was for the previous 25 for me anyway.I had one summer that we had SO many vehicles come in with failures and covered by a AFTERMARKET service contract company that THEY assigned a FULL time independent adjuster to our shop! He(former BMW engineer from Holland) was involved in EVERY vehicle for a month or more with that policy attached.(I bugged the ONLY phone he was allowed to use in MY office.Making SURE he shot straight with THAT company)Then again the WEIGHT or BRAND of fluids was NEVER questioned.Shop was in a BIG MALL and that summer was slammed with work.Employees HAD to park across the road as we had so much work(30 techs)and ran out of room for BROKE cars.Oh and the BRAND of vehicles was NOT domistic!

Originally Posted By: SkyPup

Why risk it sums it up perfectly. It isn't always a case of a dealer/auto mfg WILL do something but rather it is a case of what they CAN do if they so chose. You have confirmation here from someone who worked in dealership parts & service as well as many years in aftermarket parts involved heavily with dealerships that auto mfg's actually will make sure you used the correct fluids at times.

The brand used has no bearing on it. They will/might check to make sure that you used the correct weight and rated fluids however. They( well, Ford, GM, and Chrysler are my main experience to call on )just might check if it is a big enough issue and you better be able to show you did it all right( ie; weight, ratings/certifications, and changed on time ).

I have seen it while I worked in the dealerships. I have personally been involved in denying warranty for failure to do required maintenance and for not following required timetables and fluid requirements. It is not super common but it does happen. Anyone who believes a dealer/car mfg will never ask for proof you followed the owner's manual requirements is taking a BIG risk. A BIG one.

I also saw it as a consumer with my Sister when her engine let go in her 06 Impala. GM actually required full maintenance records and proof the appropriate oil was used. We provided it and got a new engine for her. Had we used the wrong fluid and/or exceeded the max allowed OCI she would have been up the proverbial creek without a paddle.

Last edited:
Where does this risk fear come from? I'm just curious. I never gave going with "my plan" a second thought..all from well before I found BITOG.

It has to be age. I doubt any of us would be what we are if we had our current perspective on things when we were teenagers. It has to be the accumulations of too many Murphy's Law events and having them super imposed over the 99.999% mostly shiny side expectation:result ratio.

There can (thinking
54.gif
) be only two bad results from going outside of recommendations in terms of warranty claims. A random catastrophic failure that has no relationship to oil selection ..or a notable onset of some problem (noise, consumption, rough running, etc.). The former there's nothing that you can do about ..and the later you will have the same hassle or lack there of as the condition progresses.

Neither have been encountered in any fractional amount. The catastrophic failure just due to the lack of most manufacturer defects.

I know the service mgr. at the local Ford dealer and I ask him about claims for engine replacement under warranty. He told me as long as the receipts were in order for the oil, no problem. He also said the oil change requirement, miles on oil, was also required. This had more to do with extending the OCI than type of oil used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back