2009 G5 - benefit to changing coolant early?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My girlfriend's Pontiac G5 has ~39,500 miles on it. The owner's manual's maintenance schedule says to change the coolant at 150,000 miles or 5 years, whichever comes first. Is there any benefit to changing the coolant a year early? It doesn't get below freezing where we are at in Florida.

I assume this vehicle takes Dexcool (the factory fill is pink/red, I believe), so could I use any Dexclone coolant? The cooling system has a pressurized overflow reservoir and no radiator cap if I recall correctly - would I just drain the radiator using its drain plug and fill using the overflow reservoir, topping off as required? Is one drain and fill sufficient?

If it's a 2009, it was probably built/sold in late 2008, so you're at the 5 year mark. Coolant is cheap so you may as well flush it out even though you're in Florida.

I would just recommend using a garden hose to flush all the old stuff out and then filling it.

I believe there is a drain bolt on the water pump which is supposed to be opened when draining all of the coolant. Would I open both that and the radiator drain plug and flush using a garden hose placed in the overflow reservoir until it runs clear, drain the system again and refill with 50/50 Dexcool/clone?

No need to use any water in a car that healthy. Just drain and fill one contents of the radiator and refill with 50/50 dexcool. Prestone sells dexcool at Walmart and everywhere. You can get Zerex dex cool off the Web.

If the system has any floating contamination then you can flush but a five year old dex fill should be pristine.

Do it. Most cars that have Dexcool, have nasty coolant at 4 years instead of 5.

Replace the coolant with Dexcool or an equivalant. I sometimes use Prestone All Makes All Models.

Many many dex clones including all makes all models, but i highly suggest you try to get the Prestone Dex Cool or Zerex Dex Cool since they are readily available and the correct formulation.

I would be very surprised to see any kind of contamination in a normal system of your age with dex cool. Most dex cool systems are spotless with the proper gaskets.

Use a dedicated Dex Cool product, no need to flush if there is no sign of a problem. Simply drain the radiator and refill with fresh 50/50 Dex mix.

Several on here recommend Havoline DexCool over others, followed by Zerex.

I wouldn't rush to change it, you have time. Here's a quote from Havolines PDf

The main corrosion inhibitors in Havoline DEX-COOL® Extended Life
Anti-Freeze/Coolant has been shown to remain above 95% of their original concentration after
150,000 miles in automobiles. This allows much longer intervals between coolant changes without
worrying about loss of corrosion protection. Used Havoline Extended Life Anti-Freeze/Coolant
DEX-COOL® was tested in laboratory controlled corrosion tests for new coolants after it had
already been in service for more than 200,000 miles. The used Havoline Extended Life Anti-
Freeze/ Coolant DEX-COOL® passed the ASTM D 1384 requirements for glassware corrosion
with results equivalent to new coolants and also passed the ASTM D 4340 Aluminum Hot Surface
Test for new coolant. Havoline Extended Life Anti-Freeze/Coolant DEX-COOL® represents
the next generation of universal engine coolants. This coolant is suitable for a five year or 150,000
mile service life in automotive applications.

Link to PDF http://www.taligentx.com/passat/info/fluids/Texaco-Havoline_DEX-COOL_Extended_Life_Coolant.pdf

Thanks for describing why Havoline's coolant is better than the others. I haven't seen Havoline coolant anywhere but a Texaco gas station, does anybody know where I might find some elsewhere? Or will I have to order online somewhere? Amazon only sells cases of 6. There is no O'Reilly auto parts near me at all.

The Zerex is made by Valvoline and is highly regarded around these parts. Finding singles of the Havoline can be tough.

I looked also on the web and only see cases of 6. I would probably just get the Zerex and pad it up with free shipping on Amazon with a second jug or some oil filters.

Interesting on Amazon the Zerex concentrate is $16.93.

http://www.amazon.com/Zerex-ZXEL1-DEX-COOL-Antifreeze-Coolant/dp/B0033QNZWS

And the 50/50 is $20.28
http://www.amazon.com/Zerex-ZXELRU1-DEX-COOL-Antifreeze-Coolant/dp/B0033QQ4U8/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1384804841&sr=1-2&keywords=Zerex+dex+cool+50%2F50

Hopefully you have a container you can mix it with distilled water so you don't have to pay extra, but buying the 50/50 is easier.

Last edited:
I believe that Havoline is what is actually IN the GM/AC Delco labelled Dex Cool gallons.

But from what I've read/heard, the Zerex stuff is at least slightly better than the Havoline, due to the slightly better add pack (it is also MUCH easier to find).
wink.gif

Either way, you cannot go wrong with either of these, using the 100% coolant mixed 50/50, or 60/40 with distilled water from Sino Mart for .88 a gallon.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
I believe that Havoline is what is actually IN the GM/AC Delco labelled Dex Cool gallons.

But from what I've read/heard, the Zerex stuff is at least slightly better than the Havoline, due to the slightly better add pack (it is also MUCH easier to find).
wink.gif

Either way, you cannot go wrong with either of these, using the 100% coolant mixed 50/50, or 60/40 with distilled water from Sino Mart for .88 a gallon.

It was always my suspicion that the AC Delco labeled stuff was Prestone, as the jugs are identical. (In my neck of the woods at least).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back