2009 Forester EJ25: M1 5w40 TDT + LM MOS2

Status
Not open for further replies.
_20150921_212720.jpg

This is my wife's car. 75% short trips (
This oil and filter was replaced with GC and a Napa Gold 7712. No LM MOS2 on board this time. Since owning this car for 18 months, this Subaru gets GC in the winter, M1 TDT in the summer. Car was purchased March of 2014 with 43k miles on the clock.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Michael_P
A diesel oil with calcium and no magnesium?

Are your eyes working?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Nice report, I'd love to see TDT all by itself. I think it is a sleeper oil.

Yeah, I think it's a great oil. Especially when I was buying gallons of it for $7.xx last year. I think I ended up with 8 jugs in my garage (all I could find at Autozone and Walmart).

People have been getting good results with 40 weight HDEO's in these 4 cylinder Subie's for awhile now.

I wanted to go an OCI with no LM MOS2 since I've ran full cans in back to back OCI's. I guess my only concern is that the particle moly "could" gum up some rings and turn this car into an oil burner. Has that ever been seen?

Originally Posted By: Phishin
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Nice report, I'd love to see TDT all by itself. I think it is a sleeper oil.

Yeah, I think it's a great oil. Especially when I was buying gallons of it for $7.xx last year. I think I ended up with 8 jugs in my garage (all I could find at Autozone and Walmart).

People have been getting good results with 40 weight HDEO's in these 4 cylinder Subie's for awhile now.

I wanted to go an OCI with no LM MOS2 since I've ran full cans in back to back OCI's. I guess my only concern is that the particle moly "could" gum up some rings and turn this car into an oil burner. Has that ever been seen?

It would be interesting to see the results of M1TDT without the Molybdenum additive. I think most of the 5w-40 mix use HD oils are pretty stout and sleeper oils.

I am considering using RT6 (again) or Supertech 5w-30 in it with a moly additive. I don't want to use RT6 because the engine doesn't sound too healthy and I'd hate to waste money on a good oil and have the engine finally blow.

Why such heavy grade for a short tripper? Makes no sense to me. I know EJ's like near 40 grade lubes, but, You are not seeing anything in the above report that shows the clear superiority of this concoction.
Jeepers! How can I quote a UOA to support an argument when I often say -UOA don't show engine wear per se.

OK. Why a high HTHS euro oil in a NA EJ253 - the easiest commonly installed engine on oil in the world? And in a short tripper to boot.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Why such heavy grade for a short tripper? Makes no sense to me. I know EJ's like near 40 grade lubes, but, You are not seeing anything in the above report that shows the clear superiority of this concoction.
Jeepers! How can I quote a UOA to support an argument when I often say -UOA don't show engine wear per se.

OK. Why a high HTHS euro oil in a NA EJ253 - the easiest commonly installed engine on oil in the world? And in a short tripper to boot.

Why? Because these 4 cylinder Subaru's have shown good UOA's from various HDEO's. Because short tripping leads to fuel dilution. Because this oil was run in warm and hot weather only (this Forester gets GC in the cold months). Because I have 8 gallons of M1 TDT that I bought last year for $7/gallon, and I'm not dumping that good oil in my old crusty truck or in my Honda. Because everyone knows that a 30 weight is as light as you should go in these things, and a 50 weight is fine as well.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Why such heavy grade for a short tripper? Makes no sense to me

Why? Because these 4 cylinder Subaru's have shown good UOA's from various HDEO's. Because short tripping leads to fuel dilution. Because this oil was run in warm and hot weather only (this Forester gets GC in the cold months).

There is absolutely no reason (other than you want to get rid of it) to use a 40 wt oil on the EJ NA engine. You can go over to subaruforester.org and look at the UOAs there. This engine can run on cat pee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back