2009 Ford Focus 2.0 Duratec Rotella T6 15W-40 22K

Well, here it is. I put it in on 12/4/2019 and drained it 9/3/2020. 22,000 miles, Averaged 2400 miles per month. I'd say 70 percent interstate driving. Used a Fram XG3600. Specs say use a 3614 but a 3600 fits and clears and gives me double the capacity. Interesting that the 10K rated XG Fram seemed to have done a great job at 22K. I had used the old formula Supertech 10W-30 Synthetic to 15K and Blackstone said try 17K. I used Rotella T5 15W-40 for about 15K next go round with good life left. Looks like I pushed the envelop for sure this time. I had intended to change at 20,000 miles but life got in the way. I'll be sticking to 15K-17.5K intervals from here on out. Got Carquest/Amalie HM Synthetic with a Fram Ultra Synthetic Filter(Advance Auto Parts Oil Change Deal). I thought this oil would have held up a bit better since it is ROTELLA HEAVY DUTY SYNTHETIC but then hey that's why I pushed it .........to see what the limits were. I think I found them! Yes, I know it was not SN rated. Back to properly rated oils now. Carry on.................................................

Attachments

• 22K UOA.jpg
    22K UOA.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 521
Impressive results I think. I also admire your dedication, I would have had to change it before the 22k mark. If for no other reason than just to do it.

Not an expert but to me it just looks like it got thicker?

Also would be curious to know if 0w40 over 20K miles would have paid for itself in fuel mileage?

Great Engine!

FYI- your personal details are on the UOA.

Yeah, I stretched it a bit too close for my own taste this time. I do plan on trying a 5w-40 in the future. I just wish it came in 5 quart jugs and not 4! I guess this Rotella formula is a Group III? Pretty impressive for probably not having any PAO's in it. Does Shell make Rotella out of natural gas like their other lines of motor oil?

I don't know that I've ever seen anyone on BITOG do something like this without bypass filtration, but the results speak for themselves. This engine is NOT being abused or neglected. Kudos, man!

Wait a min... from what I’m seeing, I don’t see any need to back off the intervals and agree with Blackstone that 20k is just fine.
I don’t think Lube related issues will plague this car, based on this report.

I vote you keep running it 20k for SCIENCE!!!! 😎

and to keep us all entertained obviously. Hahaha.

Wow .... you went the distance, 22000 miles, good to see. You probably changed at exactly the right time. Nice report.

Back