2009 Final Truck sales numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

IIRC, when he first posted about this truck, it had dents and a pile of strange symptoms and conditions which pointed to what he figured: it had been a rental for a contractor. Which would explain the condition.

I would definitely not be using this example as the one to measure the truck by.

I'm sure if I treated his Silverado in the same manner as this truck has been treated then lent it to him he'd have some interesting things to say about it as well.

So much for "Built Ford tough".

We have not had Fords at work for many years but still have a few left when we only bought them and they have been problem children well above the other trucks we have.(A reason why we don't buy Fords anymore) Power Steering pumps, front end problems, transmissions, poor plastic interior parts, tail gates that will not stay closed and other things.

Every one has had the following;

Gas gauge dead.

Automatic indicator in dash off or dead.

Power Steering whine that you can hear a block away.

and I can go on. They do last but require $$$ to keep them running. Our oldest one has over 200k miles and most of them are close to that number.

Our Toyotas were much better before the 2007 came on. I've got a 2007 (my truck that I share with one other guy) that eats brakes like crazy and rides horrible on cement freeways around here. My old 2005 was a better truck (a little smaller) but made better IMO.

The new Dodges that another department have been getting seem to be nice. They only have 40-50k on them so who knows how long they will last but so far I'm impressed.

Now to be fair, our agency WORKS the trucks. A lot of 4x4 use, idling is the rule (to power light bars, radios and computers) and carrying a lot of equipment.

I've heard that a few of the Chevys *may* come on line for a 2 year test. Other agency's within the state use them and are very happy. Some other Cities use the Tahoes for Police cars and love them.

Most of the Police departments seem to hate the Charger except the UHP. They love anything!
48.gif
The CrownVic is the STANDARD for Police units IMO.

I used to be a Ford guy beyond. MY first Ford truck was a 1971 F250 with a 360 (NOT a good motor) a few more to my 1994 that burned to the ground and was replaced with a POS made me buy my first Chevy truck in 1996.

I've never looked back. (and that Chevy has well over 250k miles and still going pretty well rust free).

In 2001 I bought a Ford Taurus which ate 2 sets of head gaskets in its first 108k miles. That was with the iron block / iron head Vulcan V6

(Damm I'm sounding like Arco here...
shocked2.gif
)

So unlike some members I've owned a few brands so I talk about what works for me. MY uncle is a Ford only guy and it just amazes me when he continues to buy trucks because the old one is having problems. (he had a F350 with a 351 (I told him to get at least a 460) that has major problems. He would not drive anything other but cusses out his vehicles more than anyone I've seen.

Bill

Sounds like you guys use trucks as trucks and get typical results?

A customer of mine ran a trailer park. It was a mixed fleet of Chevy and Ford trucks.

I used to help out in the summer if I wasn't busy, and as such, got to use the work vehicles.

The vehicles all had pretty decent mileage on them and had been driven most of their life by teenage guys driving somebody else's truck for 9 bucks an hour. They were abused pretty badly.

The Fords:

'99 F-250 V10 as a plow and tow truck (carried a salter)
-T-case replaced when somebody decided to stuff it in 4-low on the highway at 120Km/h.....
-Starter
-Dipstick tube rotted off the engine (I replaced that one)
-Starter lead rotted off the starter

'87 F-150 I6 as a "drive around the park" truck
???????????????????
It ran like [censored], but I don't recall anything ever actually breaking on it.....

'97 F-150 4.6L V8 (Manager's truck, so not abused, but used to launch boats frequently... Sat a LOT)
-Exhaust manifold cracked
-Exhaust rotted off
-Seized calliper

The Chevies:

'99 1500 4.3L V6
-Fuel pump
-Fuel pump
-Fuel pump
-Something in the tranny that caused it to shift like it was going to break the U-joints
-U-joint because it broke (LOL)
-Rear bumper rotted off twice

'98 1500 5.0L V8 (too be fair, this vehicle had the highest mileage, around 300,000Km)
-Fuel pump
-Fuel pump
-Cluster would randomly shut off (this was never fixed)
-Tranny would randomly go into limp mode and only have 2nd gear. This would solve itself on the next restart
-Starter solenoid rotted off
-Main ground strap from engine to frame rotted off
-Door pins on drivers door
-Rear bumper rotted
-Alternator (I replaced this)

Stuff wears out on vehicles that get used hard... Ultimately you find the weaknesses. Whether those weaknesses bother you to the point that you are turned off from the vehicle/brand or not, I think varies by individual.

The simple fact is that trucks made by Ford, GM, Dodge, Toyota, and Nissan even are light years ahead of their predecessors from 15+ years ago in so many ways. Perhaps simplicity and easy to clean interiors have disappeared, but consider the advances in power and comfort that have come along the way. Pretty hard to go terribly wrong with any of the choices on the market today.

I've had a good run with my F150's. I've owned a '97 and a '99 (which I still have at 183,000 miles) both with the 4.6. Neither were speed demons, but I didn't buy my truck for that. Instead, I've gotten great dependability. My '99 has been the most trouble free vehicle I've ever owned, and I am amazed daily a how squeek free it is after 11 years and 183,000 miles, hauling firewood and off roading on unimproved logging areas and construction site.

I also had a good run with an '88 Chevy that had 250,000 miles when it was disposed of. It was typical of vehicles of the era in terms of parts it went through, but compared to today's standards it was sparsely appointed and ate water pumps and alternators at an alarming rate compared to what we are used to now! Doesn't mean I think Chevy's are bad today!

At work, our fleet experience keeps leading us back to Fords. Every couple of years, we bring in 2 Chevys as a comparison (no Dodges or Foreign makes due to the lack of local dealerships). And everytime, the numbers usually work out that they get slightly better gas mileage, worse on repair expenses, and spend slightly more time in the shop then their peers. Is it the fleet mechanics better diagnose the Fords? Have a better realtionship with the dealerships due to buying more vehicles (including all Crown Vics for the Law enforcement folks). Could be.

They all have strengths and weaknesses, and when pushed in more severe service, the weak points come out. Up to the user and the type of service they are in to determine what is accceptable and what is not...

Bashing.....Gee i thought that I was the only one that did that with Ford.....Seems like a lot of people on this site speak with forked tounge.....Or better yet Do as I say not as I do.....

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: SAJEFFC
What say you import kool aid drinkers?

Seems a bit hypocritical when you're the first one to fling the feces, no?

Yes, the domestic crowd is held to a higher standard. Glad to see more folks wising up and buying from American mfg. I personally like all from the big 3, as there are a lot of good trucks out there. Trucks are what the 3 do best.

"MY uncle is a Ford only guy and it just amazes me when he continues to buy trucks because the old one is having problems. (he had a F350 with a 351 (I told him to get at least a 460) that has major problems. He would not drive anything other but cusses out his vehicles more than anyone I've seen."

Sounds like my Dad ... loves Fords (Mercurys, actually) but is too afraid to keep them more than 2-3 years.
smirk2.gif

Up here in the Northeast Ford may be the sales leader but as far as 15 to 20 year old trucks still on the road all I see are GMs with a few Toyotas sprinkled in so I'd like to see those numbers as well?

I currently drive a 4runner but will definitely be looking at an F series when my lease is up. Dont' think GM will lure me back for a long time.

Originally Posted By: H2GURU
Up here in the Northeast Ford may be the sales leader but as far as 15 to 20 year old trucks still on the road all I see are GMs with a few Toyotas sprinkled in so I'd like to see those numbers as well?

Around here we have tons of 15-20 year and older Fords on the roads.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Originally Posted By: H2GURU

Around here we have tons of 15-20 year and older Fords on the roads.

+1

Down here in Miami there are tons of 15-20 year old Ford trucks on the road and they running just fine with no issues.

Originally Posted By: rszappa1
But are they running?????

Yep, see them everyday. Someone in my neighborhood has an un-restored '73-'74 F-100 regular cab short bed that is driven daily. There are tons of '80-'96 F-Series trucks still driving around here too.

Yep, see them everyday. Someone in my neighborhood has an un-restored '73-'74 F-100 regular cab short bed that is driven daily. There are tons of '80-'96 F-Series trucks still driving around here too.

Move to where it Snows and you'll find that ANY truck from the 70's that is still working is a garage queen and most 80's (and some brands of 90s) are rust buckets.

Esp if its a daily driver. Rust is the rule.

The Fords (from 1998) and Chevys (from 1988)have REALLY improved on not rusting out within a few years. My 1990 and 1994 F150 (the one that replaced my burnt up one) rusted out bad. Worst than my 1982 Toyota at the time.

The salt is still better than spinning out and hitting a pole.

Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Move to where it Snows and you'll find that ANY truck from the 70's that is still working is a garage queen and most 80's (and some brands of 90s) are rust buckets.

Esp if its a daily driver. Rust is the rule.

The Fords (from 1998) and Chevys (from 1988)have REALLY improved on not rusting out within a few years. My 1990 and 1994 F150 (the one that replaced my burnt up one) rusted out bad. Worst than my 1982 Toyota at the time.

The salt is still better than spinning out and hitting a pole.

Bill

Yeah, my '88 F-250 was far from being rust free, but it had a huge frame that was still in excellent shape. If I had kept it, it would have needed box sides eventually.

I still see plenty of older Ford and Chev trucks from the 80's around up here. Not many Dodge or Toyota's however.

If they were on the roads, how would they not be running?

Originally Posted By: cousincletus
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: SAJEFFC
What say you import kool aid drinkers?

Seems a bit hypocritical when you're the first one to fling the feces, no?

Yes, the domestic crowd is held to a higher standard.

Quoted for posterity.

IIRC, when he first posted about this truck, it had dents and a pile of strange symptoms and conditions which pointed to what he figured: it had been a rental for a contractor. Which would explain the condition.

I would definitely not be using this example as the one to measure the truck by.

I'm sure if I treated his Silverado in the same manner as this truck has been treated then lent it to him he'd have some interesting things to say about it as well.

Excuse me, but I'm a contractor, and I use my Silverado to build houses with. It's not used like the average soccer Mom's SUV.

My Silverado is also used to pull a 28' travel trailer in the summer. This F-150 has never pulled a thing in it's life, since it doesn't even have a receiver on it.

Plus, my Silverado is 4 years older (and has been up and down the road a few more times) than this 2008 F-150 (which only has 24,000 miles on it).

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

Excuse me, but I'm a contractor, and I use my Silverado to build houses with. It's not used like the average soccer Mom's SUV.

My Silverado is also used to pull a 28' travel trailer in the summer. This F-150 has never pulled a thing in it's life, since it doesn't even have a receiver on it.

Plus, my Silverado is 4 years older than this 2008 F-150 (which only has 24,000 miles on it).

I'm just going by what you said in your previous thread when your truck was rear-ended.

I'm assuming you treat your vehicles much nicer than whoever was driving this F-150 before you.

As a side note, this truck has 24,000 miles and just came off of a two year lease to a local construction company.... this truck proves the old saying about "being beaten like a rented mule". It's a shame the condition that this truck is in, for its age and the miles on the odometer. I can only assume that Hertz slapped them with thousands of dollars in penalties when it was turned in at the end of the lease period with this amount of damage.

Of course, before Hertz sends it to auction, they'll slip in a cheapie plastic bedliner and tailgate cover, which will easily and cheaply cover up a good portion of the damage.

My 2004 (which I use to build houses with) is in 10 times better condition (at least it was until the 20 year old kid slammed into it), and is 4 years older with more than 2x the mileage.

Plus, my Silverado is 4 years older (and has been up and down the road a few more times) than this 2008 F-150 (which only has 24,000 miles on it).

You also own your Silverado and you post on this board. It's a safe bet the people who drove the F-150 before you did not, and they didn't give a [censored] about the truck. Keeping a vehicle maintained and driving it with some care goes a long way towards keeping it from being a POS, regardless of brand. I have driven Silverados that were newer than your truck that were probably in much worse condition.

If you look at consumer reports, the Ford 150 has been very reliable across the board in almost every category, Chevy was ok but no where near Ford. The Canyon and Colorado just were not GM and Chevy's best effort, two real headscratchers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back