2009 Dodge Ram 1500 rear differential fluid choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to change the fluid in the rear differential on my 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4. The recommended weight is 75/140 which is what I will use. I plan on using a full synthetic, and just wondering if anybody has a recommendation as far as brand. Rear differential fluid is something I know very little about, but the rear diffs on Rams can be a problem and I'm trying to improve the odds by using the best possible lubricant. Greatly appreciate any comments.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Amsoil severe gear oil.

If I was going to ever order a single amsoil product.

it would definitely be that.

Im have used a Variety of rear gear oils, Amsoil included and although I have nothing bad to say about Amsoil. I think the Lucus full synthetic provided the quietist and smoothless feel of all the gear oils I tried. Price not being a factor in any of the gear lubes, I tried.

lucas is bad, their gear oil doesnt pass certain tests or stay in grade.

Lucas is the worst gear oil out there if the Amsoil testing is even only 50% true. Stay away from it. Search for the Amsoil gear oil test and read it.

Just get the Mobil 1 75W140 available at any auto parts store. The 9.25" Dodge rear R&P is not a weak link, those half shafts are.

The Dodge 9.25" is also fine on 75W90 if you only do light towing and you will pick up a little more efficiency and driven power.

I'd use Walmart's 75W140 synthetic @ $11 a quart. It meets the GL5 spec and your differential won't know the difference from the $30 a quart stuff. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back