2009 Charger 5.7 Hemi, 5W-20 or 5W-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at picking up an 09 Charger with the 5.7 Hemi. I beleive that the vehicle is spec'd to run with 5W-20. Seems like a light oil for such a larger engine. The vehicle is equipped with the MDS.

I heard that anything but 5W-20 will mess with the MDS operation. Is this right. North of the boarder, 5W-20 synthetics are far between, but lots of 5W-30. Anyone have this car or experience with the MDS and other viscosity of oils?

On the west coast, it doesn't get that hot, but I do go into the interior and the highways are mountainous and the car will be subjected to hot summers, 38-44 degrees.

Please chime in shed some light

Last edited:
I own a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 with the 5.7 Hemi. Use it to tow our 28' 8,000 lb camper. I have been using Pennzoil 5w-20 for 36,000 miles with great results. No need to worry about the thin oil.

Stick with the 5w/20 with the MDS... I also have an 03 hemi 1500 and I mix 3 qts of PP 5w/20 with 4qts. 5w/30 even though mine doesn't have the MDS.

Don't worry about the 'thin oil'.

Always seems to be a lot of concern on using thin oils in large Chrysler motors. No one has shown a reason not to follow the mfg recommendation.

Originally Posted By: westcoaster
Looking at picking up an 09 Charger with the 5.7 Hemi. I beleive that the vehicle is spec'd to run with 5W-20. Seems like a light oil for such a larger engine. The vehicle is equipped with the MDS.

I heard that anything but 5W-20 will mess with the MDS operation. Is this right. North of the boarder, 5W-20 synthetics are far between, but lots of 5W-30. Anyone have this car or experience with the MDS and other viscosity of oils?

On the west coast, it doesn't get that hot, but I do go into the interior and the highways are mountainous and the car will be subjected to hot summers, 38-44 degrees.

Stay with a 20 weight. Do not go to a 30 weight with MDS. The MDS system operates off oil pressure( 4 of your lifters are special and actually collapse in on themselves when MDS operates )and it can mess things up with too heavy of an oil.

Dodge has spec'd 5W-20 for the 5.7L with MDS from day one and even some applications with the 5.7L w/o MDS. Just use what is called for. I know it may be hard to find but you really need to use it. You can run a 0W-20 in the winter if you wannt and be ok but stick with a 20 weight oil at all times.

No Penzoil Platinum or Mobil 1 5W-20 at your local Wal-Mart? I know you are in Canada but there must be some 5W-20 available to you somewhere.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

Stay with a 20 weight. Do not go to a 30 weight with MDS. The MDS system operates off oil pressure( 4 of your lifters are special and actually collapse in on themselves when MDS operates )and it can mess things up with too heavy of an oil.

Dodge has spec'd 5W-20 for the 5.7L with MDS from day one and even some applications with the 5.7L w/o MDS. Just use what is called for. I know it may be hard to find but you really need to use it. You can run a 0W-20 in the winter if you wannt and be ok but stick with a 20 weight oil at all times.

No Penzoil Platinum or Mobil 1 5W-20 at your local Wal-Mart? I know you are in Canada but there must be some 5W-20 available to you somewhere.

+1

During the warranty period run what the manufacturer recommends and save the experiments for the after-warranty period.

If something does happen and you have followed all recommendations there is no way they can weasel out of doing a warranty repair.

In Vancouver and other coastal areas no it does not get very hot during the summer; however, as you drive inland the heat does pickup as the driving conditions become tougher through the mountains.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

If it were mine I would definitely run a 20 weight as well, but I honestly don't think anyone would have a problem running a 5w30 with a starting viscosity of 10.0cst at 100c or less (especially since it'll most likely thin out into 20 weight territory anyhow)

I'll qualify this by saying that I know it's not the same engine.

But:

I had my 07 Caliber in for a check engine light a couple months a go (TSB-needed the computer updated). Printed out on the warranty receipt in large letters was "Advise customer to ONLY use 5W-20 oil". As we discussed it he said that they've seen a number of vehicles with heavier oils throw a CEL. It's usually because of the VVT in the case of the Caliber and Chrysler required them to put that on the receipt.

I've been doing business with them for over 25 years-if they are lying or don't know what they're talking about this will be the first time in my experience. Their service manager has been there for more than 25 years.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
You are really going to buy a Chrysler product?

Maybe he's getting a good deal? I personally like the HEMI Chargers. I didn't at first, but they grew on me.

M1 and Castrol Syntec, both in 5W-20 in a 5L jug can be found at WM in Canada. PP and Q Horsepower 5W-20 can be found at WM too, but only in the 1 quart bottle.

Originally Posted By: jigen

Maybe he's getting a good deal? I personally like the HEMI Chargers. I didn't at first, but they grew on me.

As much as I've been disappointed by some Chrysler offerings since the whole Daimler mess, I have to say that I think several current Chrysler vehicles are tops in their class, IMO. Challenger, Charger, 2009 Ram 1500, Cummins Ram 2500 and 3500, Jeep Commander, and Jeep Wrangler are a few examples. Nothing out there to compare with any of them. Heck, I even like the 2nd-generation Liberty. Its more back to what the Cherokee was and less like Barbie's SUV.
56.gif

Originally Posted By: jigen
Originally Posted By: Steve S
You are really going to buy a Chrysler product?

Looking at how Chrysler is , I wouldn't give them my money.

I am in the market for a large "family" sedan, but of course, it had to be somewhat fun and macho. I did the research and the Charger fits the bill. As well, the deals on this vehicle are amazing, and I beleive I read that the 5.7 Hemi was on a "Ten best engines list" for 2009.

I was also waiting for the Taurus SHO, but heard that the price on that unit is closer to $46,000, when if fact the Charger that I was looking at was a full load, dressed like an SRT8, but still had the 5.7 Hemi, was $34,000, and thats without my trade.

Too good of a deal to pass up!!! As for 5W-20, Syntec and Mobil 1 are the only widely available 20's here, however, the Sumas boarder is 30 minutes away and I got access to some Valvoline Synpower 5W-20 in 6 liter packs at arm lengths reach!!!!

And of course, I think that the Amsoil 5W-20 XL would probably be a good fit as well as I don't want to go to an extended OCI while under the initial warranty period. How do the above oils rate, or just pick one and sleep cozy, with "Visions of Mopar Muscle, dancing sweet in my head!!!!!"

Last edited:
Any of those would be fine but if it were me I would go with the Synpower than the Amsoil over M1 or Castrol.

The 5.7L HEMI is a GREAT motor. I am on my 2nd one( vehicle with the engine not 2nd engine in same vehicle ). Favorite new car engine ever for me.

Last edited:
Dont know about a great motor. I know a few people in law inforcemant that have chargers with the Hemi and they say that they are a repair nightmare....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back