2009 Camry P0420 code

Good Morning BITOGERS. THE 09’ Toyota Camry of mine has 180k on it. Two years ago I had to replace
The 2nd catalytic converter and exhaust whole way back. Put Toyota OEM parts on. This past Monday, the check engine light comes on halfway to work. P 0420 code. I have owned car since 2015 and it’s always passed PA Emissions and never had a check engine light on. I usually use Shell gasoline as it’s close to me. Thought of using Valero but the place is kinda rough looking. I sure don’t hope the front catalytic converter is going out.

thank you in advance

How are the oxygen sensors set up in your car? Some cars only monitor one cat but not the other :unsure:

If you can't fix it, sell the car to someone in a non-emissions county :sneaky:

Were the O2 sensors replaced when the previous exhaust work was done? If not then they're long overdue.
Two years ago when I replaced exhaust that included 2nd catalytic converter I replaced that O2 sensor. I replaced the O2 sensor on front converter rocking right off the cylinder head with Toyota OEM one yesterday during lunch. Cleared the code, drove all the way towards home, got everything up to Yelp so put like 55 miles on car. Light didn’t come back on. This morning; check engine light came back on while on highway. I am getting the P 0420 code again

Just a thought a friend mentioned; does the quality of fuel help or could using no name or questionable fuel hinder anything? I use SHELL 89 fuel a lot. Have rarely used Get Go (Giant Eagle) brand gas

Usually, for Cat DTC is the downstream O2 sensor aka after the Cat.

The first O2 sensor usually cause a Air Fuel Ratio DTC.

Based on my experience so others may vary.

Usually, for Cat DTC is the downstream O2 sensor aka after the Cat.

The first O2 sensor usually cause a Air Fuel Ratio DTC.

Based on my experience so others may vary.
Yep - the upstream one in many cases on a post-2000s car, especially ones certified to CARB ULEV and higher is a wideband air/fuel sensor.

the downstream sensor is a simple narrowband O2S with heater. But there is a separate heater DTC.

not a driveability tech - you can see if the cat is responding with a Ir thermometer - the outlet end and body should be hotter than the inlet side once it’s “lit-off”. If you know a smog tech, you can ask for a preliminary smog test - the equipment will be in “diagnostics” mode and use the gas bench without the dyno - you’ll have to pay for that unless you know a tech. If the HC numbers are high, cat’s dead.

Italian tune up. Drive in 3rd gear on the fwy a day or 2 before the emissions test to get the light to turn off. Drive like that in the way to the test too. Ignore light the other 23months between tests 😂

How are the oxygen sensors set up in your car? Some cars only monitor one cat but not the other :unsure:

If you can't fix it, sell the car to someone in a non-emissions county :sneaky:

You wouldn't believe how many cars from 53's county wind up in mine due to this reason. Apparently Fulton County is where Pittsburgh cars come to die? Unfortunately he can't "gut" the converter and move on with life. Counties with emissions need that sticker first before getting the other one. In mine you can find Joe's Uncle Brother's Sticker Slap Service to do it. Not that I would ever do that... but....

Back on topic. 53, hasn't this car had a history of intermittently using oil? 2009 should be the 2AZ-FE 2.4? If so, might possibly time for a replacement or overhaul...

You wouldn't believe how many cars from 53's county wind up in mine due to this reason. Apparently Fulton County is where Pittsburgh cars come to die? Unfortunately he can't "gut" the converter and move on with life. Counties with emissions need that sticker first before getting the other one. In mine you can find Joe's Uncle Brother's Sticker Slap Service to do it. Not that I would ever do that... but....

Back on topic. 53, hasn't this car had a history of intermittently using oil? 2009 should be the 2AZ-FE 2.4? If so, might possibly time for a replacement or overhaul...
Delta: I’m not getting a replacement engine or overhauling it either.

Delta: I’m not getting a replacement engine or overhauling it either.

Sorry if that sounded harsh, not intended to be. It's possible the other cat is just worn out. However if it is the notorious 2AZ-FE oil burning situation is it replace that cat and hope for another 30-40K miles or....? Is this car currently using oil to excess? A little bit probably won't matter much.

An elderly lady I know down the mountain owns a Camry similar to yours with the 2.4. It has relatively low miles, but suffers the dreaded ring issue. They gutted the converter a while back. It smokes like a Cheech and Chong movie, but is still running. Not the best outcome, but the car lives on.

Well, if it is indeed the cat coming off the engine then I don’t know how in hades it passes PA Emissions since 2015. Consumption of oil has dropped some. I’d say I’m adding 2 quarts over a 4500~ OCI. no smoke from tailpipe and car has over 180k. I could if need be replace the main cat converter as they appear reasonably priced on Rock Auto

Well, if it is indeed the cat coming off the engine then I don’t know how in hades it passes PA Emissions since 2015. Consumption of oil has dropped some. I’d say I’m adding 2 quarts over a 4500~ OCI. no smoke from tailpipe and car has over 180k. I could if need be replace the main cat converter as they appear reasonably priced on Rock Auto

The cats cover any obvious smoking. This could be a recent issue and that's why its always passed emissions.

Try a rear 02 sensor spark plug antifouler thingie.
If you need to smog this is illegal, and they check for that BS.

Anyways, back then for older cars they don't really care if your profile looks normal, like before and after warm up changes, etc. I think now if you try to cover up or poison the O2 they would notice. If you really want to do this you can try getting a cheap aftermarket O2, poison it, and then plug it in, or rig up an adapter that put a resistor between the signal. However this is still in the illegal category and if they do a tail pipe sniffing test you can still fail.

Last edited:
They don’t do tailpipe testing around my area on cars, SUV’s and trucks. It’s all OBD or computer and OBD connector for doing emissions

They don’t do tailpipe testing around my area on cars, SUV’s and trucks. It’s all OBD or computer and OBD connector for doing emissions
Sounds like what CA does on newer cars + the visual inspection for any tampering.

A good smog tech here will check for aftermarket cats without a CARB E/O number. Especially on a Prius or Element - the two cars most likely to get a cat stolen. But from what I’ve been hearing around here, Hondas are getting targeted. I have a feeling they’ll loop back to Toyota trucks soon as they did in the past.

Back