2009 Accord Oil choice question for next OCI (k24z2)

Hello there BITOG Forum. The car that I have is listed in the title, and to give you all some context, it normally takes 5w-20. The car itself is one-owner, has slightly more than 82k miles, and has been meticulously maintained the past few years as it is one of the family vehicles.

After reading up on this and many other forums, I need a true consensus for me to make this jump: Would 0w-30 merit any benefits?

I will answer and elaborate as needed when people come in.

In hot California ... I'd use xW-30 over xW-20 if it was mine. A bit more HTHS and MOFT can help, and certainly won't hurt except for maybe a hair less fuel mileage.

Are you having oil consumption with 5w20?

my signature Accord burns a little even with 5w30 but it was a VCM car (it’s been disabled since 29k but that’s still 29k with problematic VCM), however with 5w30 it does burn quite a bit less with no noticeable fuel economy or drivability hits.

Are you having oil consumption with 5w20?

my signature Accord burns a little even with 5w30 but it was a VCM car (it’s been disabled since 29k but that’s still 29k with problematic VCM), however with 5w30 it does burn quite a bit less with no noticeable fuel economy or drivability hits.

This is a 4 pot, so no vcm. However, to answer the initial question, it does not burn any oil. I am debating this change of viscosity for preventative maintainence, and to quiet it down slightly.

In hot California ... I'd use xW-30 over xW-20 if it was mine. A bit more HTHS and MOFT can help, and certainly won't hurt except for maybe a hair less fuel mileage.
Noted. I normally run pphm 5w20, but there has been times in the past where it has ran m1, castrol, and dino for some time. Pphm works well, and it has kept the engine clean.

CA is a long state. IDK which part you live in.
With 80+K miles, keep with the 5w20 or 0w20 as long as it's not burning any oil. 20 wgt oils are made waaaaay better than people think they are. Sure you can change to a 30 wgt but, it's not necessary.

I agree with sticking with a 20 weight for your Accord. PPHM/PP/QSUD/etc.. 0W20 or 5W20 will take care of your engine for a plethora of miles moving forward. Keep it simple bud!!! ;)

Your engine will not know the difference. Once I accidently dumped Idemitsu 0w20 into wifey's 2006 TSX (5w30 spec) and it never ran better.

You can buy 2 x 5 qt Jugs of M1 EP at Walmart for $24.74 after the the $24 Rebate. Likely the route I would go. It's hard to find a better oil for $2.47 a qt.

I seriously doubt it will make much difference whether you run 5W-20 or 5W-30. Get the one that helps you sleep at night.

I use 5W30 in my K24 accord. No particular reason other than to use up my stash. However I will likely keep using 5W30 after my stash is gone as it's working well in the K24.

If you switch now, then you will never truly know if the recommended 5w20 was the "right" oil that allowed the engine 300kmi, or if switching is the reason why it dies at 150kmi.
Do you have any UOA's?

If you switch now, then you will never truly know if the recommended 5w20 was the "right" oil that allowed the engine 300kmi, or if switching is the reason why it dies at 150kmi.
Do you have any UOA's?
I do not at this time. I know for sure, off of how the engine runs, PPHM has been the best thing that i have put in it. I am debating it (viscosity change) to see if it would make a difference in how it ran.

Back