2009 4T65e (Buick LaCrosse) not accepting fluid past the MIN line at the very bottom of the crosshatch area.

As the title states my Buick isn't letting me fill the transmission past the minimum line.

I noticed the fluid was barely on the dipstick yesterday and ran to the parts store to pick some up. I added enough to bring it up to he first dot on the dipstick (the MIN line) and carefully added more.

After shifting through the gears and checking the fluid level it was the exact same level. I tried again. Same results. I decided to check under the car and low and behold there was fresh transmission fluid on the ground under my transmission.

I've changed transmission fluid on this car twice now and I know the fluid is supposed to sit somewhere between MIN and MAX so I know I didn't overfill it.

I'm wondering if this would be a faulty transmission dipstick seal or something else.

If it's going to specific level and staying there after some leaks out, I'd inspect around the pan gasket or dipstick seal.
Then pan is rather shallow so I'm placing my bets on the dipstick seal.

Well my goddamn transmission went out today with little warning. Just a few burning smells. Clutch packs must've burnt up.

Well my goddamn transmission went out today with little warning. Just a few burning smells. Clutch packs must've burnt up.
stupid question but are you sure it didnt run out of fluid due to leak? no fluid = no go.

Well my goddamn transmission went out today with little warning. Just a few burning smells. Clutch packs must've burnt
How many miles on your Buick?
72xxx on the engine, 140xxx on the trans. She sat for 3 years and I neglected to change the fluid so I guess it's my fault. And no there was plenty of fluid on the dipstick. I think it was just 5 years old or something so it was due for a change.

We're these from the model years with the input drums like to fatigue around the snap ring groove and you lose all forward gears when it breaks.

I like my GM 3800 cars, and have owned four of them over the years. The 4t65e trans never left me stranded, but I know they don't have the greatest reputation for longevity.

Back