2008 VW R32 oil change-tools?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am planning to help a friend change the oil on his R32 while visiting them later next week. Anyone know what sizes or tools for oil filter housing and drain plug? Been a while since I changed oil on a VW. Thil little car will really fly, and handles well, too.

Thanks in advance.

IIRC it's a 19mm oil plug and 36mm to remove the oil filter housing. It's a cartridge.

Here you go... MkV R32 DIY: Oil Change and Fumoto Oil Valve Install: Oil Extractor Test, too

If you think the R32 is quick, you should take a ride in a 2.0T with even a simple tune. How does a 0-130mph time that is a full 7-seconds quicker sound?
grin2.gif

Sounds fast. His wife has the 2.0 turbo in her 2007 but she already had her oil changed. He wants to learn how to change his oil. Are you saying to not drain with the oil drain plug? I'm confused, apparently. Also, in the link, he says that the o-ring on the tip of the filter is actually for the filter cap drain plug. Anyone know for sure if this is true?

Yes, DO NOT drain by taking the drain plug out. In the link rshunter provided it shows and oil extractor. These kits have a small hose that you run down to the inside of the pan through the dipstick hole. Then you pump the oil out that way. Then replace the filter cartridge. Mercedes are the same way as far as I know.

Originally Posted By: BimmerMan
Originally Posted By: AdRock
Yes, DO NOT drain by taking the drain plug out.

Ummm, why?

I went looking for the info but couldn't find it. A few years ago at a shop I worked at we got some paperwork from Volkswagen & Mercedes saying that they had had alot of problems with the drain plugs stripping when pulled out & put in repeatedly when doing oil changes. It said to use the extraction pump instead of pulling the drain plug out.

I wish I had a copy of that stuff but that was a few years ago. I guess it doesn't apply anymore.

Since I can't find any of that info online I'll eat crow on this and say nevermind.

Originally Posted By: AdRock
Volkswagen & Mercedes saying that they had had a lot of problems with the drain plugs stripping when pulled out & put in repeatedly when doing oil changes. It said to use the extraction pump instead of pulling the drain plug out.

Gorilla-tech strikes again!

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
Sounds fast. His wife has the 2.0 turbo in her 2007 but she already had her oil changed. He wants to learn how to change his oil. Are you saying to not drain with the oil drain plug? I'm confused, apparently. Also, in the link, he says that the o-ring on the tip of the filter is actually for the filter cap drain plug. Anyone know for sure if this is true?

Okay, here's the deal with the drain-plug. The aluminium pans have had a nasty history of threads being stripped. This is due to people who've never heard of a torque wrench and believe that if tight is good, just a bit tighter is even better. In order to prevent leaks and avoid stripped threads, it is necessary that the drain-plug seal be replaced and that the plug be properly torqued. The factory seal is a "captive" washer and while it can be replaced, the factory recommendation is to simply use a new drain-plug. Personally, I just replace the seal and have never had a problem. In fact, my dealer normally just asks me how many seals I'd like, and gives them to me.

The Volkswagen directive on proper technique has become this, "Extracting engine oil is not permitted for V6 engine". This wasn't always the case, but it puts an end to the debate. Once you've drained the oil from the pan, drain the oil filter housing by removing the drain plug located in the center of the housing cap. This will make the job much cleaner than simply removing the housing cap.

There are two O-rings that should come with the filter cartridge. The large O-ring goes on the oil filter housing cap, at the base of the threads. The small O-ring goes on the end of the cap's center-post, which is concentric with the filter cartridge. It may not be obvious when you first remove the cap and filter, but when you wipe the tip off you will see the O-ring. There is also a seal that goes on the oil filter housing drain plug, but IIRC it doesn't come with the filter.

The proper torque specifications are as follows...

Oil Pan Drain Plug: 30 Nm or 22 ft/lbs
Oil Filter Housing: 25 Nm or 18 ft/lbs
Housing Drain Plug: 10 Nm or 7 ft/lbs

I think that covers it. If not, or you're unsure about something, don't hesitate to ask.

10.gif

Ah, I see. . .

My BMW has an aluminium pan and I never had a problem with stripped threads. But, I always use a torque wrench.
55.gif

BMW calls for 17 Ft/lbs on the drain plug. hmm....

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
+1

IIRC, my E30 (with Al pan) takes 22 ft-lb, no stripping...

Oops, actually it's 18 ft-lbs for my BMW.

I looked up your E30 and it uses 18 ft-lbs too(for a M12x1.5 plug). I have the BMW TIS.
55.gif

Originally Posted By: rshunter
The Volkswagen directive on proper technique has become this, "Extracting engine oil is not permitted for V6 engine".

Did they say why? Is it the shape of the oil pan on those engines that prevents some of the oil from being reached with an extractor tube?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: rshunter
The Volkswagen directive on proper technique has become this, "Extracting engine oil is not permitted for V6 engine".

Did they say why? Is it the shape of the oil pan on those engines that prevents some of the oil from being reached with an extractor tube?

Honestly, I couldn't tell you precisely why, but you are probably correct. My quote came directly from Wolfsburg. There was no explanation, just a proclamation in BIG RED LETTERS. They must have found something to cause concern, as the use of an extractor is the normally recommended routine across the Volkswagen AG brands.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Why even bother to use an extractor for an oil change when you have a drain plug ?

It can save a lot of hassle. Particularly if you're dealing with an engine that has a top-mounted filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back