2008 VW Jetta engine tick (2.5)

My aunt had noisy 2011 VW Jetta with the 2.slow. She is forever grateful that I "fixed" her noisy ticking engine. The fix was to switch from dealership oil (probably cheapest oil they can get in 55 gal drums) to Castrol 0W40.

Rule out the easy stuff before you dive deep. Try the dipstick trick mentioned to rule out a PCV issue. Then change oil with any of these: 0W40/5W40/10W40/15W40. If no change in noise - start looking for mechanical issues. But I wouldn't dig into it without ruling out the easy stuff first. Make sure it's not PCV related or oil grade related. VWs of that era do tend to favor the 40-grade oils. What oil was used by the shop?

It sounds like common VW hydraulic lifter noise or a bad rocker arm. Try a Euro 0w40 in it before tearing into it. Maybe substitute a qt of oil for HPL cleaner also.

I see Vlad had the same thought at the same time.

We are thinking it's the N80 valve. He felt it while it was running and its knocking right along with the tick that we are hearing. Hope that's all it is, just a $20 part.

We are thinking it's the N80 valve. He felt it while it was running and its knocking right along with the tick that we are hearing. Hope that's all it is, just a $20 part.
That's what I meant when I said VVT actuator I just forgot the VW term for the valves.

That's what I meant when I said VVT actuator I just forgot the VW term for the valves.
Ah. The actuator is internal to the engine, this part is on the exterior under the plastic engine cover. He wants to try and find the part tomorrow and replace. Hopefully that's the issue.

Not saying its not possible but I never heard an evap purge valve make that sort of racket.

If you think a couple cheap parts you can put on yourself will fix it, great! Otherwise I'd not be taking any 14 year old VW to the shop until something actually breaks, drive the snot out of it and "forgeddabouddit". May go for years like that.

Cleaners mentioned are a good idea as well.

Had an old 3.0 Mercedes straight six with a distinct tick like your VW. Tossed in 8 oz. of this stuff and the noise disappeared in ~20 miles. Sticking hydraulic lifter.

1647093032365.jpg

Is there any chance your brother over-revved it driving like a race car driver?

I was young and dumb once too. I guess I still am sometimes lol.

No, not yet anyway lol.
Making a fool of myself, I thought the N80 valves were the VVT valves on top of the valve cover. Anyway the purge solenoid does ring true for me, now that it was brought it up sounds like the purge valve on a Ford DI 2.0L, they could be very loud like that.

Back