2008 VW Jetta engine tick (2.5)

My brother just got a 2008 Jetta 2.5. It just developed a tick that is noticeable at idle. Oil is within the normal range. Can anyone identify this ticking? This video was taking at hot idle with the oil at full operating temp. No engine light or codes.

What’s odd is the nose is NOT consistent. It does go away and come back at idle.

Ouch.

Did you help him change the oil yet? Maybe the previous owner had it filled with Motor Honey to quiet it down.
No. It was changed at a local shop. Oil change sticker still on the window. Clean and within normal range.

Timing chain rattle? Do these have VVT, maybe a VVT solenoid? Noisy injector? It's definitely not rod knock at least.
The timing chain on these is on the driver side, so I doubt it’s that. Fingers crossed.

Timing chain rattle? Do these have VVT, maybe a VVT solenoid? Noisy injector? It's definitely not rod knock at least.
there are all reasonable guesses, I'd start from there too

but my bigger question that stands: who is buying a 14y old car and expecting to be in tip-top shape, needless to say a VW

there are all reasonable guesses, I'd start from there too

but my bigger question that stands: who is buying a 14y old car and expecting to be in tip-top shape, needless to say a VW
No one expected tip top shape. Just throwing this out there to see if anyone has experienced this noise from the 2.5. Overall they seem like solid engines so I doubt it’s a major failure.

No. It was changed at a local shop. Oil change sticker still on the window. Clean and within normal range.
The previous owner had it changed at a local shop,or your brother?

If it hasn't been changed yet then probably no foul done by the previous guy.

But he still could have poured a bottle in it otherwise.

The previous owner had it changed at a local shop,or your brother?

If it hasn't been changed yet then probably no foul done by the previous guy.

But he still could have poured a bottle in it otherwise.
Previous owner had done at local shop. He even told brother when the next oil change was due. Guy was super nice, military. Suspected no foul play.

No one expected tip top shape. Just throwing this out there to see if anyone has experienced this noise from the 2.5. Overall they seem like solid engines so I doubt it’s a major failure.
then, i'd remove valve cover and start investing from there; also, i'd test fuel delivery

Unless I am hearing something else, I can't say I hear it go away when revved, it just sounds like the ticking speeds up, perhaps softens a little. How many miles on it?

Back