2008 VW Jetta 2.5 oil change help…

This is my brothers new daily. I’ll be helping with the oil changes. I see it has an odd oil filter canister design. I’m wondering if anyone who owns a 2.5 can confirm what size filter wrench cap to get. I only want to purchase one, the right size (vs. getting a set).

Oil will be 502.00 spec, all 6.3 quarts. Yikes!

Thanks in advance.

There's some weird little tool to drain the oil from the canister, but you don't need it...it'll just make a mess like a spin on filter. I don't trust that little valve anyway.

I just use an oil filter wrench to "break" before hand spinning it off. I just hand tighten.

1646884415362.jpg

Only if you're an ape with no fine muscle control. It's fine. It's not on there very tight; you might not even need the wrench.
It might work if you wrap a few towels around the housing, but I don't know if everyone is careful to use that method.

It might work if you wrap a few towels around the housing, but I don't know if everyone is careful to use that method.
It works fine without towels. I've used it on a 3008 Rabbit since 2008. 140K miles. Original oil filter housing. OMG!

Back