2008 Volvo XC90 3.2 - 7,018 miles on oil - Mobil1 5w30 HM

Status
Not open for further replies.
It wasn't intended to be scientific. But it does prove something, it proves that Pennzoil isn't as bad of an oil as he claims. If it were a terrible oil, there would be something clearly off in an oil analysis.

Aside from the difference in cal/mag and moly, pretty unremarkable report... but that's a good thing, right?

Just curious... what brand of air and oil filter are you using? And did you inspect the oil filter between running the M1 and PP HiMi?

Fwiw, your friend, IMO, is high for thinking that PP HiMi was/is in some way inferior. Any interest on your part on running PP HiMi sans the MoS2? I'd be curious to see what if any effect it (the addtl moly) has on wear metals. Other than that, it looks like you have a happy motor..enjoy the ride.. ðŸ‘

The use of the additives kinda makes this whole comparison null and void. How do you know the additives aren't aiding in lower wear and not the oil itself? The point of direct comparison is to eliminate as many variables as possible.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
The use of the additives kinda makes this whole comparison null and void. How do you know the additives aren't aiding in lower wear and not the oil itself? The point of direct comparison is to eliminate as many variables as possible.

My initial thought is what is/was unfair or fair for one, is unfair/fair for both since he used the moly in both oils.

Now that said, we know the oil formulators spend a lot of time coming up with the right balance of all the oils constituents so that they work synergistically. The question then is, can we say with confidence that the addtl moly has a similar effect (good bad or otherwise) on both oils???

I suppose if you wanted to get as close as possible to an unvarnished answer you'd have to run at minimum 4 UOA's - #1 PP, #M1, #PP+MoS2, #M1 + MoS2. This doesn't begin to address the other variables like ambient temps, engine load, % @WOT etc...but it would provide better visibility into each oils performance characteristics.

Otherwise, the two UOA's are probably more than enough to win a bar room bet amongst friends.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Aside from the difference in cal/mag and moly, pretty unremarkable report... but that's a good thing, right?

Just curious... what brand of air and oil filter are you using? And did you inspect the oil filter between running the M1 and PP HiMi?

Fwiw, your friend, IMO, is high for thinking that PP HiMi was/is in some way inferior. Any interest on your part on running PP HiMi sans the MoS2? I'd be curious to see what if any effect it (the addtl moly) has on wear metals. Other than that, it looks like you have a happy motor..enjoy the ride.. ðŸ‘

The engine air filter and oil filter are both Mann. Which is factory stuff for this vehicle. I did inspect the oil filter but it was unremarkable. Nothing to note. The engine is very clean.

I have considered running without the MoS2 but it just makes such a difference in my fuel economy that I don't want to run without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back