2008 Toyota Sienna M1 0w30 SN 11,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwillson

Staff member
All,

This sample has about 8,000 miles of highway driving and the balance is short trip running around town. Oil is M1 0w-30 SN/GF-5, no make-up oil added.

Code:

OIL M1-0w30

MILES IN USE 11k

MILES 50k

SAMPLE TAKEN 09/25/2011

ALUMINUM 4

CHROMIUM 0

IRON 12

COPPER 2

LEAD 0

MOLYBDENUM 83

CALCIUM 1300

MAGNESIUM 667

PHOSPHORUS 531

ZINC 654

SODIUM 2

POTASSIUM 1

Silicon 15

WATER 0%

Antifreeze N

Fuel Dilution N

Viscosity 9.97

SAE ISO 30

Sulfur 12

Oxidation 12

Nitration 23

The M1 SN UOA's continue to impress. Great results. Should have a 10k mile sample soon.

Viscosity is perfect. Zero oxidation.

Wish Phos/Zinc numbers were higher, but hard to argue the good report.
thumbsup2.gif

My wife has the same van and I'm getting ready to put PP 5W30 in it this weekend. I plan to run it around 7500 miles and will get it sampled sometime next spring.

Looks great - M1's SN formulation may be it's best yet.

Wish we got it in Canada - still have not seen a single bottle of SN-spec M1 in a store up here!

Mobil 1 and other synthetic oils should be used for 7-8k miles or longer in a good/clean engine. This report clearly shows that M1 can be in service for 11-12k miles or a little longer.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
Where in this report are you guys seeing viscisity, oxidation, and flashpoint?

Quote:
Edited by wwillson (10/11/11 02:32 PM)
Edit Reason: removed flashpoint

confused2.gif

Nice report on the M1 0W-30! I am using it in my Corolla and it seems very smooth. It has even bumped my fuel mileage up slightly.

I was a little disappointed seeing the first VOA's of Mobil's SN GF-5 additive packs. As the UOA's have come in however, it Looks like these are very good, well formulated, high quality lubes. I give a big thumbs up so far for Mobil. Especially their 0w's.

You're only seeing a small fraction of what is actually in the oil via a VOA, which is why they don't tell you that much. M1 for example is made up of 16 different base oils and additives. That is from their website.

Originally Posted By: Slick17601
Wayne, does your engine have any piston slap when cold? This UOA is fantastic.

No piston slap, but the typical noisy Toyota VVTi valve train. Sometimes I swear I'm driving a quiet diesel when the engine is idling.

Wayne

Didn't perchance do a TBN on this sample did you? I'd expect it to be fine with all the highway driving, but it'd be interesting to know.

Thanks for posting the report.

I don't doubt that there is more going on with these SN oils than the conventional UOA picks up. It would appear that a lot of the "good stuff" has been significantly reduced (notably calcium, moly and boron) that we're used to associating with a good add pack (Pennzoil SN oils show similar reductions). Yet the UOA results are good. It looks like the SN rated stuff is good despite the weaker appearing add packs.

Originally Posted By: gpshumway
Didn't perchance do a TBN on this sample did you? I'd expect it to be fine with all the highway driving, but it'd be interesting to know.

Thanks for posting the report.

Sorry - no TBN...

Wayne

Nice report. These reports aren't telling anything about the formulation... other than it's good.

I wonder if I could use this in my 1996 Accord V6?...especially for the winter. The car has 106,000 miles and doesn't use any oil in a 5,000ish mile OCI...using Quaker State UD in it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back