2008 Toyota Corolla 1.8l

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a 2008 toyota corolla with a 1.8 lt. I want to do the oil changes myself and was wondering what oil and at what interval? The car is under warranty and I don't want any problems with the stealership as far as warranty requirements. Any thoughts. Also the car right now has aprox. 3,500 on the clock and I only drive about 6k a year almost all city driving.

Is that filter a spin on or an "element unit"?
You may be scrambling for tools, that's why I ask.
Nice car. Manual or auto @ $4 per gallon!

If you have a cartridge (element) filter you don't have to order any Toyota Specialty Tools. I change the cartridge filter on my Rav4 using a 3/8" drive extension, filter wrench (w/ a strip of corrugated cardboard), and a torque wrench. I use the cardboard strip as a liner between the filter wrench and the cast aluminum filter housing - it takes a little time getting it lined up, but after a couple OCI's it is easy.

The first change will be the hardest since the filter housing will probably be over tightened, so you may want to have the dealer do the first filter change. 25 ft lbs is a little more than hand-tight on the housing, and 10 ft lbs on the filter drain cover is very little. Just follow the instruction on the filter element box.

Originally Posted By: ProfPS
If you have a cartridge (element) filter you don't have to order any Toyota Specialty Tools. I change the cartridge filter on my Rav4 using a 3/8" drive extension, filter wrench (w/ a strip of corrugated cardboard), and a torque wrench. I use the cardboard strip as a liner between the filter wrench and the cast aluminum filter housing - it takes a little time getting it lined up, but after a couple OCI's it is easy.

The first change will be the hardest since the filter housing will probably be over tightened, so you may want to have the dealer do the first filter change. 25 ft lbs is a little more than hand-tight on the housing, and 10 ft lbs on the filter drain cover is very little. Just follow the instruction on the filter element box.

Good instructions. I had a 64mm cup wrench and same deal- first time confusing, after that a piece of cake.
There is another thread going on the weight reco for the oil, including a TSB allowing for different weights.
BTW - to the original poster, what did the manual and oil fill cap call for in regards to viscosity?

Use any name brand regular oil, pennzoil, castrol, havoline, valvoline and switch every 3.5 k miles

That is what i would do.

Thanks for the info. The filter is a regular spin on. The dealer said "they changed the oil" but when I got the car home it was dark so I changed it and put in valvoline synthetic and a pure one oil filter. My main question is , since I don't drive many miles and to keep the warranty up , would I be better using a good dino oil and changing it every 6 months? Thanks.

with dino u can make 6 months and probably be around 3.5 k miles
With city driving its good to change earlier. So dont go over 6 months

If ur car has a fuel disulution problem then dino is the anwser, You might be lucky and get off 1 year changes but you gota test it out.

Originally Posted By: steveh
5k or 6 months the owners manual recommends for this car.

hmm..my 06 vibe says 5k or 3 months, but I am doing almost a year on syn. maybe toyota has relaxed a bit on the recommendations on this engine.

same thing for my 08 corolla, 5K /6months per warranty.

but i am not too worried about the warranty. i just dumped my val synpower 5w30, and refilled with the same, kept the same pure one just dumped out the oil, just over 7 months and 6200 miles, uoa to come.

if going with the warranty i would use dino and/or synthetic if you can get a great deal on it

Agreed.

For some reason, Quaker State Torque Power goes on sale more often than other synthetics, so I use it in my car most often.

I think the idea of selling it for trucks is just a gimmick.

My thought is; take it to the dealer at the prescribed intervals for changes during the warranty period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back