2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid, Kirkland Signature 0w20, 15k miles

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid (105k miles)
Oil: Kirkland Signature 0w20
Miles on oil: 15k miles
Duration of use: 10 months
Oil filter: Mobil 1 M1-209 Extended Performance Oil Filter (Oversized)
Driving style: Medium to Hard
Makeup oil: none

uoa.jpg

Last edited:
That's a good bit of silicon. Any recent service? I would check to make sure the intake tract is securely fastened and change the air filter if that hasn't been done in a while. The viscosity is also climbing up. I would agree with the observation to drop the interval down.

Other than that, everything looks good.

That's a good bit of silicon. Any recent service? I would check to make sure the intake tract is securely fastened and change the air filter if that hasn't been done in a while. The viscosity is also climbing up. I would agree with the observation to drop the interval down.

Other than that, everything looks good.

The engine was rebuilt by toyota a few years ago due to excessive oil consumption, I know that the pistons were replaced. I normally change my air filter every 30k miles, the last air filter change was done at 90k miles. I'll double check the air intake again.

@paulgoh — if Toyota cracked open the block, the silicon is most likely from dirt getting in / sealer when they put it all back together and it just needs to wash out…

Wouldn’t hurt to check the intake plumbing and all associated vacuum hoses to be sure nothing is cracked or disconnected.

I’m surprised Blackstone recommended a drop of 3,000 miles with 1.5 TBN left. I thought for sure they would tell you to go 17k and check back. 😅

@paulgoh — if Toyota cracked open the block, the silicon is most likely from dirt getting in / sealer when they put it all back together and it just needs to wash out…

Wouldn’t hurt to check the intake plumbing and all associated vacuum hoses to be sure nothing is cracked or disconnected.

I’m surprised Blackstone recommended a drop of 3,000 miles with 1.5 TBN left. I thought for sure they would tell you to go 17k and check back. 😅
Still needs to wash out after a few years?

Still needs to wash out after a few years?
Why not? New engines take many oil changes to break in and wash out the excess particles. If they were sloppy on the sealant, I imagine the first sample post rebuilt probably looked terrible as well as the send oil change and third. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Back