2008 si want to change to synthetic--brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am looking to start using synthetic in my 2008 si with 6k.Any suggestions on a top off the line synthetic for this manic motor I've got?

Originally Posted By: Mark888
Could you be more specific about the Make/Model?
2008 SI...

Honda Civic

Lets guess what brand you will suggest...
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: kzy3ob
Am looking to start using synthetic in my 2008 si with 6k.Any suggestions on a top off the line synthetic for this manic motor I've got?
First of all
welcome2.gif

I'd say depending on how you drive it and if you are going to follow the OLM.

What weight does the manual state? Is it 5w-20 like all other Hondas?

All the conventional (which are more of a blend these days) 5w-20 are excellent. The 5w-30 also are great. If you can run either I'd say with the 5w-20.

Take care, Bill

Si's take 5W-30, Bill.

You have to follow the MM to keep your warranty intact, and any synthetic 5W-30 you can find will easily do that. Just go with the best price.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Off the shelf:

Pennzoil Platinum
Mobil 1
Quaker State Q
Valvoline Synpower

+1 or Amsoil

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: Mark888
Could you be more specific about the Make/Model?
2008 SI...

Honda Civic

Lets guess what brand you will suggest...

I would suggest any synthetic brand that is certified for the auto manufacturer requirements. I don't know of any brand of synthetic that meets the Honda requirements that would be a problem or that I would dissuade people from using, including Walmart SuperTech synthetic (if it does meet the Honda specs).

Using an oil that meets the auto manufacturer requirements is much more important than the brand. Part of that reason is that not all viscosity grades of a "good" brand may be certified for that particular application.

If you think I have previously said different, let me know.

yes,bill it is 5-20w...I exercise the motor weekly...I don't go too crazy on it on a regular basis.
Thanks again
Thomas

I'll bet that the manual does not suggest/recommend syn oil.

Let's see what the OP says the manual states.

5w-30? Any SM rated oil will be fine with the OLM. Well protected and clean engine will be the rule.

Do the SI have a timing chain? (I'm up on the normal Civics)

Bill

I say, change to a Moly-robust oil like either Chevron product, Schaeffers, or Redline as all Honda motors love Moly. In fact, I read somewhere that the cylinder walls or maybe it was piston rings are coated in a Moly substance from factory. That would be my suggestion. I am using a Maxlife Blend which has a 300ppm Moly count in the 3.5L Honda, and it loves this oil. However this is a High Mileage oil, but it has very good add pack and just might be extra nice in a high rev 4 cyl like your civic. You can't beat the $14 5qt jug price at Wallmart either!

Originally Posted By: kzy3ob
yes,bill it is 5-20w...I exercise the motor weekly...I don't go too crazy on it on a regular basis.
Thanks again
Thomas
Then ANY 5w-20 API SM oil will be fine. They all are excellent!
thumbsup2.gif

My Dads Honda motors (2001 Civic and 2005 Honda powered Vue) have loved Castol GTX and Pennzoil YB in 5w-20.

He has also run Mobil 5000 in 5w-20 but only did 2 ocis.

He has quite a few cases of Chevron 5w-20 he bought on sale for 99 cents a quart that will be going into the Vue in a few OCIs.

Take care, bill

kzy3ob,

Are you sure the oil recommended is 5W-20? Regular Civics rec. 5W-20, but the higher-winding Si's take 5W-30. I'm sure of it - we've got a few members with them.

Might want to double-check this - you don't want warranty problems from using the wrong grade of oil - Honda is 'fussy' about that!

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
I'll bet that the manual does not suggest/recommend syn oil.

Let's see what the OP says the manual states.

5w-30? Any SM rated oil will be fine with the OLM. Well protected and clean engine will be the rule.

Does the owners manual specify that the oil be Honda HTO-06 certified? Maybe I am wrong, but I would guess that not every 5W-30 oil meets Honda HTO-06 specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back