2008 Ranger 3.0L, ST FS HM 5W-20, 2600 mi

It is. We've used only Motorcraft and Wix air filters on it and the air system looks to be in good shape. His last air filter lasted less than 5k miles because of all the dirt roads and it was changed out on the most recent oil change.
Tell us a bit more about this please.

What's triggering the super-short air filter changes? I realize you say it's dirty where he operates. But are you doing it because you think it needs it? OR do you have a vacuum gage on the intake?

Overly frequent air filter changes can actually be harmful because air filters will pass 90% of the total particulate in their entire lifespan in the first 10% of their lifecycle. (see this link: https://www.trailerlife.com/tech/diy/the-truth-about-engine-air-filtration )

Tell us a bit more about this please.

What's triggering the super-short air filter changes? I realize you say it's dirty where he operates. But are you doing it because you think it needs it? OR do you have a vacuum gage on the intake?

Overly frequent air filter changes can actually be harmful because air filters will pass 90% of the total particulate in their entire lifespan in the first 10% of their lifecycle. (see this link: https://www.trailerlife.com/tech/diy/the-truth-about-engine-air-filtration )
Thanks for the link. Very good info. I changed the air filter based on visual appearance but it appears I could’ve left it in longer based on that article. His filter with 4.7k miles looked twice as dirty as the filter in my Civic with over 13k miles on it.
And for the record we put a new filter in when we bought the truck at 187230 mi and changed it once at 191936 mi when we did this oil change.

Has the cam synchronizer been replaced? Does it make a noise like a belt squeak but from the back of the engine? Particularly when cold.

what’s the starting TBN of that oil?

Has the cam synchronizer been replaced? Does it make a noise like a belt squeak but from the back of the engine? Particularly when cold.

what’s the starting TBN of that oil?
We haven't changed the cam synchronizer and I have no idea if it had been done prior to our purchasing it. I don't recall hearing a squeak but it's been awhile since the weather's been cold here. Or do you mean when the engine's cold? No squeal either way.

The starting TBN of the oil is somewhere in the 6.5-7.0 range. It was the SN+ Supertech Full Synth High Mileage 5W-20.

Thanks!

DANGER Off Topic Alert!

My 03 Ranger with the 3.0 lives on 10w30 Gray Bottle Rotella and a pint of Schaeffer oil treatment. When the stash of Rotella is gone it’s getting 5w40 Schaeffer same as everything else. Bear in mind I am the guy running 5w40 in several Ford 5.4s where it’s supposed to be a no-no and also in my 94 Toyota Tercel. I’m not afraid of a little thicker oil.
I'm running a mix of 4 quarts QSHM 10w40 and 4 quarts older 5w20 that I had in my stash in my 5.4 3V, but I think I might just go to straight dual rated 15w40. I live in Texas, 7 months of the year you won't notice the difference between 0w/5w/10w40 and 15w40. And the latter is dirt cheap.

IMO/ime 20 or 30 makes little difference ina Vulcan.

mine had elevated Iron when the synchronizer was going out. Though that doesn’t really make sense.

the TBN seems very low for the miles, I’ve run M1 for much longer and still been over 3.

IMO/ime 20 or 30 makes little difference ina Vulcan.

mine had elevated Iron when the synchronizer was going out. Though that doesn’t really make sense.

the TBN seems very low for the miles, I’ve run M1 for much longer and still been over 3.
I agree on the TBN. Makes the previous run of Motorcraft at 3.6 look really good. I’ll do some more research on the cam synchronizer. Was it difficult to do? Or did you pay someone to do it?

Last edited:
... Was it difficult to do? Or did you pay someone to do it?

No it wasn't hard. You need a special alignment tool which is about $20.00 and it is otherwise like replacing a distributor.

It is a common issue, some folks drill a hole so they can drop oil into the bushing...

Mine sounded like a belt squeak. Many folks report that.

I'm still not sure I understand why the Iron was so up...

I have a 2006 Taurus w/ the Vulcan V6. I've had it for about 15 months or so. Currently with 153k on the clock. For my first 2 oil changes, I ran the Havoline HM SB 5w20 6-quart box from Walmart, and the engine was quite noisy, so this time around I decided to go up to 5w30 and see what happened. The difference in engine noise, especially when cold is like night and day. I went with Supertech HM FS 5w30 from Walmart. With the drastic change in engine noise, I think I tend to agree with some folks that say the Vulcan engine doesn't particularly like the thinner 5w20 oils. Since switching to the full synthetic 5w30 I can barely hear the engine idle. If you want to try a 5w30, the supertech full syn seems to be running great for me. Just my 2 cents.

FYI, I did end up dumping the ST FS HM 0W20 for the ST FS HM 5W30. I considered the 357 miles it was driven with the 0W20 to be a rinse cycle. ;)

No it wasn't hard. You need a special alignment tool which is about $20.00 and it is otherwise like replacing a distributor.

It is a common issue, some folks drill a hole so they can drop oil into the bushing...

Mine sounded like a belt squeak. Many folks report that.

I'm still not sure I understand why the Iron was so up...
The tool isn’t required. I changed mine in 2012 and used a sharpie. Lol

FYI, I did end up dumping the ST FS HM 0W20 for the ST FS HM 5W30. I considered the 357 miles it was driven with the 0W20 to be a rinse cycle. ;)
Do you notice a difference in the way the engine runs? The difference between Havoline HM SB 5w20 and ST HM FS 5w30 is like night and day, much, smoother. I'm not sure if it was going from a SB to FS, going from 5w20 -> 5w30, or a combo of the two. I'm thinking I'll probably stick to the ST HM FS 5w30 for year-round use in my Taurus.

Do you notice a difference in the way the engine runs? The difference between Havoline HM SB 5w20 and ST HM FS 5w30 is like night and day, much, smoother. I'm not sure if it was going from a SB to FS, going from 5w20 -> 5w30, or a combo of the two. I'm thinking I'll probably stick to the ST HM FS 5w30 for year-round use in my Taurus.
I didn't notice a difference in my brief drive after changing it. But sadly, the truck was in a rollover shortly after and is likely totaled. :( Thankfully, no injuries.

I didn't notice a difference in my brief drive after changing it. But sadly, the truck was in a rollover shortly after and is likely totaled. :( Thankfully, no injuries.
Sorry to hear about the truck, but I'm glad there were no injuries.

Please tell us your leadfooted son wasn't driving when the rollover happened... ;)

Back