2008 Prius questionable history

Hello everyone-
I picked up a super cheap 08 Prius with 165k yesterday. It's at my local hybrid shop getting a new HV battery, inverter and transmission serviced. The car has questionable service history and I am aware that these things like to start drinking oil due to sticky rings. I'm good to do one (or a few) short interval OCI's to clean it up- what are your recommendations? It has a 3.7 quart sump.

I'll also be replacing the original plugs and coils along with all of the filters this weekend if the weather plays nice.

Let me know your favorite cleaning plan for this car, it specs 5w30 in 5K intervals. I'd like to get another 100k of relatively issue free miles in the coming few years.

Thank you!

Just keep it full of 5W-30 and you'll be fine.

Hope you have funds set aside for the brake actuator since that is a common painpoint on that generation.

Hello everyone-
I picked up a super cheap 08 Prius with 165k yesterday. It's at my local hybrid shop getting a new HV battery, inverter and transmission serviced. The car has questionable service history and I am aware that these things like to start drinking oil due to sticky rings. I'm good to do one (or a few) short interval OCI's to clean it up- ...
Do you know yet whether your particular one is "drinking oil"?
What service are they doing to the inverter? Merely changing the coolant?

Do you know yet whether your particular one is "drinking oil"?
What service are they doing to the inverter? Merely changing the coolant?
The tailpipe end is a bit greasy so it leads me to believe its an oil user. The current fill is a bit low and filthy so most likely its been neglected. On the inverter, apparently the pump is/was weak so its being changed. I'll bring it home from the shop tomorrow and look into it further over the weekend.
I'm not worried about adding oil as needed. What concerns me most is a cat failure and now that my lovely state of Colorado is following California's emissions laws (new as of Jan 1), only OEM cats are approved for use in this car to the tune of $2200...

Back