2008 Nissan Maxima Mobil 1 0W40 12,000 miles on oil. 240,000 miles on car

I finally got my oil analysis from balckstone today and decided to post. Please, let me know what you think.

A little history about this car. I bought the car brand new on July 4th, 2008. I started keeping a detailed log of all maintenance on it as from 60,000 miles. I have done various kinds of oil change intervals on this car with this run being my longest ever at exactly 11,895 miles on the oil. This was my first and only time ever using and running 0W40 on this Maxima. I have a detailed thread about this car and here is the link...

Detailed maintenance thread on my 2008 Nissan Maxima since brand new...

Vehicle: 2008 Nissan Maxima
Oil: Mobil 1 0W40 with Mobil 1 Extended performance filter. This is my first time ever using 0W40 on this car and my last. Just wanting to go back to Nissan recommendation of 5W30.
Make up oil: 2 quarts
Filters: Air filter and cabin filter has been on the car for about 20,000 miles now.
Miles on Oil: 11,895 miles (I am rounding it up and saying I used the oil for 12,000 miles since it was short of exactly 115 miles to make it 12,000 miles done with this oil).
Current miles on vehicle: 240,000 miles on car at the time of this oil change and getting the sample. All stock and all original parts since new. Car has 241,000 miles today as I am posting this.

Why did I go so long? Because I had used 2 quarts of makeup oil, so why not push the car to the limit? Also, now that my car has 240,000 miles on odometer, I plan to be changing my oil every 10,000 miles. My car leaks oil so I do see myself using 2 quarts make up oil and so why not run it till 10,000 miles? Blackstone says I should do a 5,000 to 6,000 miles next time. I don't know, maybe I will still do 10,000 miles. The car has 241,000 miles on it, I am not really scared if it suddenly dies on me someday. The car has been very reliable and I still take it for round trip journeys over 1,000 miles.

This time, when I changed my oil I decided to go back to what Nissan recommends for our car which is 5W30. I used Valvoline High mileage 5W30 with a K&N oil filter. I will stick with this for some time and will also change my QX back to 5W30.

Last edited:
Here is the report. I hope you guys can see it. Not a perfect report, but would love feedback.

[Linked Image]

Wear does look a bit high. Nothing you can do about it.
I think lead can only come from babbit material wearing off (or scratched up) crank & rod journal bearings. (Anybody else know of another lead source?)
Do check your air filter compartment for any leaks around the edges that might be letting in soil dust (silicon, potassium) in. That could be some coolant seeping in there in small amounts too.

The good news is the oil itself is doing its job. Lots of TBN left in it. Those higher numbers are not the fault of the excellent M1 0w40.
Although, I'd probably choose to use Valvoline Full Synthetic with Maxlife 5w30 high-mileage type oil in this 10 year old engine to make sure the seals stay flexible going forward.

Also, I'd recommend using a Fram Ultra since it filters better than the M1 Extended Performance oil filter..

+1 on the Fram Ultra. Run it 6-7k and change oil only with Maxlife or PPHM 5w30. Change filter after 3rd oci. Try to get 250 and 300k odometer landmark.

Looks like dirt ingestion. Check the plumbing, as already stated, and put in a new air filter. Short OCIs help decrease the dirt concentration and resulting wear, so you could do a short one, then get another UOA on the fill after that to see if all is well.

Originally Posted by Marco620
+1 on the Fram Ultra. Run it 6-7k and change oil only with Maxlife or PPHM 5w30. Change filter after 3rd oci. Try to get 250 and 300k odometer landmark.

I appreciate the responses so far. As much as I do not mind if this car suddenly dies on me since it has served me well so far, I truly care and hope I get this car to atleast 300,000 miles.

You guys are saying Fram Ultra is a good filter. But I think it costs same as Mobil 1 Extended Performance filter at Walmart. Between both filter, which one is better? I was thinking Mobil 1.

I agree with you about the oil choice. I think I may stick to Valvoline Full Synthetic high mileage for some time since I can get it from walmart.

You guy suggest I change oil only at about 6 to 7k. Well, by 4,500miles, my car always has leaked 1 quart of fluid. That is the time I usually top off. So, I feel the oil is always kind not too old. That is why you see on last run I had 2 quarts of makeup oil with a TBN of 4.4 after 12,000 miles. So, I am thinking no need to change my oil if I am putting makeup oil that often. That is why I feel I can run the oil till 10,000 miles because I put a quart of oil say after every 4,000 miles.

What do you guys think?

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Wear does look a bit high. Nothing you can do about it.
I think lead can only come from babbit material wearing off (or scratched up) crank & rod journal bearings. (Anybody else know of another lead source?)
Do check your air filter compartment for any leaks around the edges that might be letting in soil dust (silicon, potassium) in. That could be some coolant seeping in there in small amounts too.

The good news is the oil itself is doing its job. Lots of TBN left in it. Those higher numbers are not the fault of the excellent M1 0w40.
Although, I'd probably choose to use Valvoline Full Synthetic with Maxlife 5w30 high-mileage type oil in this 10 year old engine to make sure the seals stay flexible going forward.

Also, I'd recommend using a Fram Ultra since it filters better than the M1 Extended Performance oil filter..

Thanks for your advice. I will check my air filter compartment for leaks. Besides, the air filter and cabin filter has about 20,000 miles on them now. I need to order new ones and change them out.

The oil has a high TBN because of the 2 quarts make up oil. My car leaks oil and right about 4,000 miles to 4,500 miles of use is when I need to add 1 quart. So, say I add 1 quart at 4,000 miles. Then oil is fresher. So, I wait until another 4,000 miles and now the car should have 8,000 miles on il. I add another quart. That means my car can go up to 10,000 miles on oil because I just added half of what my car normally takes for oil change. The car takes 4.5 quarts at oil change. So, if I have to add 1 quart after every 4,000 miles, it means i either do a full oil change at 4,000 miles or if I add 1 quart, why not drive the car again for another 4,000 miles? and hence add another quart and take it to 10,00 miles?

Ok, I have not seen a lot of great reviews on Fram Ultra. It is about same price with Mobil 1 EP filter. So, which one is better? They are both at Walmart for about same price.

And yes, I think I will stick to Valvoline Full Synthetic high mileage from now on. On this vehicle and probably on my suv too.

Originally Posted by zorobabel
Was the oil milky, or any air bubbles on the dipstick?
Also check all vacuum hoses for cracks.

These are pictures I took on the day of oil change. I do not remember any air bubbles on dipstick and I do check my oil kind of often since it leaks. But I was never paying attention to look for bubbles since i never knew about that.

More pictures...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by JAG
Looks like dirt ingestion. Check the plumbing, as already stated, and put in a new air filter. Short OCIs help decrease the dirt concentration and resulting wear, so you could do a short one, then get another UOA on the fill after that to see if all is well.

Thanks. I will definitely be changing my air filter and cabin filter within the next 1,000 miles. I just need to order them from ebay.

Short oil change interva will mean that I need to do an oil change at 4,000 miles which is when I am usually low by a quart. Because I feel if I have to add a quart at that time, no point in doing an oil change. What do you think?

Besides, lol, I feel a short oil change interval with very good synthetic fluid and filter will be a waste. Even to get oil analysis for such a short run might be a waste. Oh well, we shall see.

It is ether I do short oil change interval of 4,000 miles and change oil and filter. Or if I have to add my 1 quart makeup oil, I have to take it again to 8,000 miles before I do an oil change. But if I take it to 8,000 miles, I must add a quart and take it to 10,000 miles before I do an oil change. I don't think my car will die on me just yet.

I personally do not like K&N oil filters- I have not been impressed cutting open virgin K&N filters. Although they might be run on the same assembly line, the M1 and Amsoil filters look better to me. I also like the Puro Boss and Fram Ultra.

I would not use the addition of oil as a reason to extend the oil change interval. I would go for a 7500 mile oci regardless of how much oil you add.

Have you considered a HM oil? Maxlife would be a good choice.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I would not use the addition of oil as a reason to extend the oil change interval. I would go for a 7500 mile oci regardless of how much oil you add.

The oil now in my car is Valvoline Full Synthetic high mileage with maxlife. This is my first time using it and I am hoping for the best from it.

Well, look my logic with how my car consumes or uses oil.

After 4,000 miles, I basically need a quart of makeup oil. So, my thought is I may just do a full oil change here instead of adding a quart if oil.

But, if I add a quart of oil, I would like to drive for another 4,000 mileage. That takes me to 8,000 miles. Here, I should do a full oil change or if I add another quart here, I see no reason why I should not take the oil 2,000 more miles and change the oil at 10,000 miles.

So, it is either I change the oil at 4,000 miles or I might just be tempted to go till 10,000 miles before I change it again. Since I am adding fresh oil every 4,000 miles and the filter is good enough to run for up to 10,000 miles.

Those are just my options. I really pushed my car this time to do this 12,000 oci. It is my longest ever.

Maybe I might try 10,000 and do an oil change amd send a sample to blackstone.

If I do only 4,000 miles, I would hate to spend money for an oil analysis.

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
I personally do not like K&N oil filters- I have not been impressed cutting open virgin K&N filters. Although they might be run on the same assembly line, the M1 and Amsoil filters look better to me. I also like the Puro Boss and Fram Ultra.

I bought a package deal from AAP. It came with the valvoline oil and K&N filter. Next time I will just buy from walmart.

So which filter is better between these 2? Mobil 1 EP vs Fram ultra? I think they are about same price at Walmart. I believe both are good filters and should last up to 10,000 miles if I pushed my car to that.

So which is better? Or is the answer any of the 2 is fine?

Highly likely there is an air intake issue; Si it too high and probably causing the elevated wear metals.
If the issue persists on the next UOA, then it will be confirmed.
I'd not wait another 12k miles to do the UOA; maybe 5k or 6k at most.

Originally Posted by PetitFrereArmada
Originally Posted by PimTac

The oil now in my car is Valvoline Full Synthetic high mileage with maxlife. This is my first time using it and I am hoping for the best from it.

Well, look my logic with how my car consumes or uses oil.

After 4,000 miles, I basically need a quart of makeup oil. So, my thought is I may just do a full oil change here instead of adding a quart if oil.

But, if I add a quart of oil, I would like to drive for another 4,000 mileage. That takes me to 8,000 miles. Here, I should do a full oil change or if I add another quart here, I see no reason why I should not take the oil 2,000 more miles and change the oil at 10,000 miles.

So, it is either I change the oil at 4,000 miles or I might just be tempted to go till 10,000 miles before I change it again. Since I am adding fresh oil every 4,000 miles and the filter is good enough to run for up to 10,000 miles.

Those are just my options. I really pushed my car this time to do this 12,000 oci. It is my longest ever.

Maybe I might try 10,000 and do an oil change amd send a sample to blackstone.

If I do only 4,000 miles, I would hate to spend money for an oil analysis.

I would Time your oil change when you have to add your second quart.

Originally Posted by PetitFrereArmada
Originally Posted by rubberchicken
So which filter is better between these 2? Mobil 1 EP vs Fram ultra?

Here is most of the reason why you see Fram Ultra recommended so much on here. The Ultra's depth filtering capability is unmatched.
Ultra: 99.5% 20 microns, 94% 10 microns, 80% 5 microns. These are great 4548-12 numbers. ....
The Mobil1 oil filter is almost as good, just not as good. Not a bad choice, its just that the Mobil oil filter uses cheaper internal media that does not filter as well or hold as much dirt before clogging compared to a Fram Ultra.

The other oil filters mentioned above, the Boss, Amsoil EaO, and I'll add the Royal Purple oil filter to this list are all quite good, but none match the Fram Ultra's performance.
Also, take a look at the anatomy of a Fram Ultra and you'll see its a cut above the others, mainly in the double layer of synthetic media & wire-backing for durability.

All have silicone ADBVs, which is great to have for longevity and temperature resistance, so that box is checked with just about all those filters. (I'm not sure if the K&N has a silicone ADBV, it might.)

Do the UOA at 6K it will likely confirm the air intake system has a hole somewhere. Buy whatever oil filter is on sale you have proven a fram ultra is no where near a requirement for long engine life. Buy whatever oil is on sale. You are adding enough makeup oil throughout your OCI it is not stressing the lube.

" So which filter is better between these 2? Mobil 1 EP vs Fram ultra?"

My take on the M1 vs Fram Ultra: the few virgin Fram Ultra's I have cut open show some questionable QC from the assembly line, while the M1's have been uniformly good. That is why I have not jumped on the FU bandwagon. My average cost is about the same for M1 vs Fram Ultra.

Back