2008 MB C300, M1 0w-40 SM, 8,800 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time in service: 12 months

Driving conditions: daily 24-mile round trip commute, mix of hwy and city driving.

Oil: Mobil1 0w-40 API SM
Oil filter: Mann (OEM)
Air filter: OEM

Make-up oil: none

Sampling technique: Blackstone pump via dipstick tube.

M1_0W40_2011_10_16_report.png

M1_0W40_2011_10_16_data.png

A few strange things on this report, IMO:
  • 45 ppm of iron? Is it possible the engine is still breaking in? It's higher than what I had expected, even though the lab had no issue with it.
  • 4000 ppm of calcium? Doesn't this oil have about 3000 normally? Not sure what oil was in there before...
  • 14 ppm of silicon? Ugh... not terrible, but it could be better. Do I have an air leak? The air filters are a PITA to get to (I think), but I'll have to take a look in there...
  • Viscosity: 12.2 cSt @ 100C. Well lookie here... just when we thought M1 0w-40 does not thin out of grade anymore...
    smile.gif

Additive levels were higher than normal but who cares about that one. This oil is outstanding and I know silicon isn't that high but maybe some abrasives are getting in there and causing higher iron wear.?

Try the new SN version. It looks good too. I think this is a fine report.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Any recent work done on the engine involving gaskets or gasket sealer? (Silicon).

Nope.

One spike in iron isn't a big deal. If you see it next time you can start worrying then.

As for silicon, is your block one of the goofy aluminum/silicon alloys like Alusil or whatever? Silicon could just be harmless leftover from a gasket change or whatever.

8.8k over 1 full year in Ill.?

I know it sees a 24-mile commute daily, but if it sits for any period between that commute, it could be some corrosion.

Just an idea.

After the sample was taken, the oil change was done by the dealer. When I asked them on the phone, they said they used M1 0w-40; however, when I looked at the invoice it said Mobile (sic!) ESP, so I'm not really sure what they've actually used. They may have used the mid-SAPs M1 5w-40 ESP oil instead.
frown.gif
If that's the case, then my next UOA is going to look like d00df00d's mom's report.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
After the sample was taken, the oil change was done by the dealer. When I asked them on the phone, they said they used M1 0w-40; however, when I looked at the invoice it said Mobile (sic!) ESP, so I'm not really sure what they've actually used. They may have used the mid-SAPs M1 5w-40 ESP oil instead.
frown.gif
If that's the case, then my next UOA is going to look like d00df00d's mom's report.
lol.gif

It is highly unlikely they used the ESP version, though I'm sure it has happened in the past. It could have happened. Some dealers can't get it straight.

However, d00df00d's mom report was NOT the ESP version.

There is a non-ESP version of Mobil 1 Formula M 5w40 that primarily just dealers get, you can't find it at a store.

I went through all this some time ago. I found out the breakdown for the non-ESP version and even sent in the ESP version of the Formula M for analysis, it's calcium is like only 1000. I probably posted some of this.

When you see the 1400-1700 range calcium, it's the non-ESP Formula M.

If you see 900-1100 range, it's probably ESP version.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
45 ppm of iron? Is it possible the engine is still breaking in? It's higher than what I had expected, even though the lab had no issue with it.

Try a fill of Mobil 1 10W-40 HM next time. This guy used it in his Nissan 300ZX and his iron is very low :

UOA Nissan 300ZX

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Try again with SN M1 0w-40 and see what happens to viscosity and wear metals.

Just pulled a sample from from the current run of SN M1 0w-40 at 11K miles. Should have the results in a week or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back