2008 mazda 5 transmission fluid change.

I am due to change my fluid and filter on my transmission. I was wondering if any one else has done this already on their Mazda 5 and wanted to know what you used and what luck you had with it. I am partial to using oem but I am curious on what others have tried. Does anyone know any good Mazda oem websites? I'm cautious of getting scammed. TIA

MV transmission fluid; I had 08Mazda6i for 10 years I used Mobil1 ATF, Castrol ATF or RedLine D4 interchangeably; I never had an issue with the transmission (5speed); in and out 4qts of fluid

I have had Maxlife in our 2012 Mazda5 with the 5 speed auto for about 50,000 miles, and I never noticed a change in transmission behavior, and haven't had any problems. That service bulletin from Mazda that says never to use a multipurpose fluid still makes me nervous though! The car has 112k miles on it now.

I am due to change my fluid and filter on my transmission. I was wondering if any one else has done this already on their Mazda 5 and wanted to know what you used and what luck you had with it. I am partial to using oem but I am curious on what others have tried. Does anyone know any good Mazda oem websites? I'm cautious of getting scammed. TIA
Why not get it from the dealer? This way all guess work goes away!

This is a FNR5 4 speed transmission
you could be wrong, that FNR5 comes with 5speed only, hence its code name

i'd use this

IMG_1965.jpeg

Go to a Mazda dealer and buy the Mazda M5 fluid. Ford dealer could do too, but in my experience was a bit more expensive.
Surprisingly, the cheapest I could find, but hey I'm in Canada so everything is overpriced :D

There's nothing really special about Mazda MV ATF to justify overpaying for it versus the excellent alternatives like Maxlife and Castrol Transmax. The FNR5 is the Ford name of the transmission co-developed by Mazda, which Mazda calls the FS5A-EL and while Mazda insists on MV ATF, Ford started using Mercon V and later switched to Mercon LV. Mazda uses a bunch of third party transmissions like the Jatco JF506E and Aisin AWTF-80 which are used by many different manufacturers and in each case they all insist you use their special ATF. I used Transmax in my old Mazda6 with the FNR5/FS5A-EL and shifted just as well as the factory fill ATF.

Castrol Import Multi Vehicle would be my gambit for this transmission. On memory alone (so someone correct me if im wrong) it is mercon v licenced by ford and mercon v is the sister fluid to mazda mv.

I have a 2011 Mazda 6i with that five speed transmission. It is indeed a Ford transmission. I have used the Redline D4 since 40K. It now has 196K. The Castrol Import Multi Vehicle would work great as well. The Redline is expensive, but a transmission is even more costly. I have done 3 cooler line flushes. Last one was just recently. I will now only do drain and refills at about 30K with the drain plug as the line flushes are overkill and I have gotten my moneys worth out of this car. It is all bonus time from here on out.

I used to use the Motorcraft fluid from the Ford dealer for this transmission, since Ford discontinued it I've been working through a case of BeckArnley M5 Fluid I got on RockAuto. When I use up the case, will probably start buying from the local Mazda dealer!

This is a FNR5 4 speed transmission
I can't confirm the Mazda 5 AT's alphanumeric designation, but can confirm that the 1st-gen 5 (2006-2010) used a 4-speed automatic, not a 5-speed.

The 2nd-gen 5 (2012-on) used a 5-speed AT.

The manual transmissions had a extra gear compared to the ATs - 1st-gen = 5-speed manual, 2nd-gen = 6-speed manual.

I have the same trans in my 2007 Ford Fusion and I have always used M1 ATF at 30-35K OCIs. With 271K on the car the trans has and still does shift very good, up and down.

Back