2008 mazda 5 engine oil drain plug problem.

I've managed to round out a 2008 mazda 5 drain plug. I don't need advice on how do get it off. The question is could I use a 2008 ford focus drain plug? I don't have a mazda dealer anywhere near me. It's a 17mm drain plug if that helps any. I can not find the nomenclature of the engine itself anywhere online.

M14 X 1.5 thread plugs. Verified. There may be a head difference. Check for gasket application. Look 'em up on rockauto.com

Last edited:
Reactions: JC1
They are both 14x1.5. Doorman specs the same plug for both applications; trust this information at your own risk.

just use a pair of vise grips and really tighten on them. if theyre old and rounded then maybe no. a new sharp pair at wallys aint much and it uses a m14-1.5 like the rest have said. id just stop by an autoparts store to get one.

A new plug is easy peasey; good luck with the rounded one.
Years ago I was asked to help remove a cross threaded, rounded drain plug on a Datsun 1200.
I was sure I could do it; nope. Finally the pan was replaced by the dealer. Oops.

i always say "i don't need advice on this and that" and end up needing it because the same thing happened to me. stripped the bolt on a ford ranger because it was an old used truck that was mostly rounded and i figured if i could kind of file the sides flat to get a wrench on it. friend asked if i needed help, told him no, couldn't get it off so i then asked for advice and he told me to do just that and it worked flawlessly. then apologized after. us guys will never want to accept initial help but may need it anyway.

I've managed to round out a 2008 mazda 5 drain plug. I don't need advice on how do get it off. The question is could I use a 2008 ford focus drain plug? I don't have a mazda dealer anywhere near me. It's a 17mm drain plug if that helps any. I can not find the nomenclature of the engine itself anywhere online.
Not sure about the Focus, but the Fusion of that era used the same 2.3 l Duratec engine as the Mazda 5. We have a 2009 Mazda 5, and various engine parts, including the oil dipstick, say Ford on them. I'm sure you could get the part at a Ford dealer.

Time for a fumoto. One and done.
Take a look at the Valvomax. I cant like Fumoto, quality is not the issue but they look like refugees from the HD plumbing aisle.
The German made Stahlbus is steel with an aluminum cap, not bad at all but they do begin to surface rust in the salt belt. The Valvomax is all stainless, made in the USA, the company is owned by veterans and the part is nice quality, a very solid piece that doesn't take a lot of room. I just ordered #3 for my own cars.

Reactions: JC1
Back