2008 KIA Sportage - Front Left wheel (Brakes locked-up)

This is weird.... Driving home the other day and noticed I was deeper into the throttle than usual. I thought I was losing power to my engine and pulled over into a parking lot, placed it park and began to smell that acrid smell of burning brakes.

Got out of the vehicle and noticed my front-left disc brake was giving-off heat and smell. In fact, when I tried to pull ahead to a safer spot, I could barely get the car to move. **** front brake seemed to be clamped-down all by itself.

Anyhow.... had it towed home thinking a caliper froze-up and decided I'd repair it myself. (Still plenty of pad material intact and never had an issue. Also, I have completed brake jobs before.)

So... Replaced the caliper, pads, resurfaced the rotor, flushed, and bled the system. Nope! Locked again just as I was driving out of the neighborhood.

Went back in... purchased a new master cylinder and brake line. Replaced those and flushed the entire brake system (all 4-wheels).

Nope! That front caliper is clenched so hard it won't let go. Crazy huh? Now... I'm thinking some funky ABS issue is kicking-in and sending pressure to that front caliper for some weird reason.

Anyone have any ideas or have dealt with this before? I'm lost at where to start again... ABS? Can the module or pump be at fault?

Thank you ahead of time. I'm hoping someone might have a clue.

Thank you!

I would have said that it's your hydraulic brake line but you've already replaced that as well. If it were something in your ABS, you should get the ABS light Ibn the dash and you'd have a code although you may want to have a scan to see.
Also, if it were the ABS, it may in fact give a pulse sensation during braking even in dry conditions...I'm stumped. :unsure:

Try YouTube,

CB :coffee:

Last edited:
Does it free up if you crack the bleed screw?
I am curious as well. Because, if the brake does in fact free up when the bleeder valve is cracked open, this would lead me back to the hydraulic brake line and even the new one is defective especially if it is an aftermarket item and not OE.
BUT, this is just me.🤓

Where did you get the caliper? What brand? I'm thinking if its a reman, that someone else replaced their caliper for a similar issue and its not correctly rebuilt. I would buy a new caliper , either from the dealer, or a ( new not reman) raybestos element 3 caliper from rock auto. Drivers side front FRC11763N passenger side front FRC11764N .

I won't buy local parts shops re-manufactured calipers, too many issues.

Front caliper is the same 4cly to 6cy. $56 no core.

Just saw an article on a Kia recall. Something to do with the ABS system doing wierd stuff, even when parked! The article said that the issue was being investigated due to them CATCHING ON FIRE!

Park this thing away from anything until you get some word from NTSB or dealer.
I'll link the article if I can find it again, Your car may not be incleded on the list, but it sure sounds similar.

Just saw an article on a Kia recall. Something to do with the ABS system doing wierd stuff, even when parked! The article said that the issue was being investigated due to them CATCHING ON FIRE!

Park this thing away from anything until you get some word from NTSB or dealer.
I'll link the article if I can find it again, Your car may not be incleded on the list, but it sure sounds similar.
Good thought, i found the article. Seems the earliest is affected 2014.

Hey guys! Thanks for all the suggestions! Here's what I can tell you so far...

I've replaced the caliper & pads "again". Same brand - "O'reilly". The wheel does free-up without hydraulic pressure, but once bled, same issue.

I've checked and no lights, codes etc. I don't think it's the caliper itself as the system somehow is sending brake-line "pressure" to that wheel only.

Checked YouTube... KIA forums.... Stumped. Most are dealing with a "Frozen Caliper" as the issue... NOT the constant brake fluid "pressure".

To my eye...(For what its worth) I'm thinking the **** ABS module is causing this lone wheel to stay locked. (Gotta love modern vehicles with ABS)

Thanks for all the links and safety warnings! Good to know! She's parked outside now. I'm going to check the pedal and anything else I can think of.

Ugh... maybe time for this vehicle to be put out to pasture... She's been awesome for years... can't complain outside the normal maintenance.

I'll let you know what happens. Again.... you guys are awesome! I appreciate all your suggestions and this great forum!

Try unplugging the wheel sensor or the ABS module itself to disable it after you open the bleed and relive the pressure, then see.
This is only to help diagnose it.

Why would that cause only ONE wheel to lock up?
there's much less brake force at the rear wheels. I've had it happen on 2 tucsons and both heated up 1 front wheel. It was the mc in those cases but one of them developped the problem after getting a new MC (on the test drive). the wheel isn't locked up btw, or you wouldn't go anywhere to get it good and hot

Had it happen on other cars aswell, and on some lifting the brake pedal released the front wheel brake.

Hey guys! Thanks for all the suggestions! Here's what I can tell you so far...

I've replaced the caliper & pads "again". Same brand - "O'reilly". The wheel does free-up without hydraulic pressure, but once bled, same issue.

I've checked and no lights, codes etc. I don't think it's the caliper itself as the system somehow is sending brake-line "pressure" to that wheel only.

Checked YouTube... KIA forums.... Stumped. Most are dealing with a "Frozen Caliper" as the issue... NOT the constant brake fluid "pressure".

To my eye...(For what its worth) I'm thinking the **** ABS module is causing this lone wheel to stay locked. (Gotta love modern vehicles with ABS)

Thanks for all the links and safety warnings! Good to know! She's parked outside now. I'm going to check the pedal and anything else I can think of.

Ugh... maybe time for this vehicle to be put out to pasture... She's been awesome for years... can't complain outside the normal maintenance.

I'll let you know what happens. Again.... you guys are awesome! I appreciate all your suggestions and this great forum!

release the brake line between the abs and the MC, see if that frees the caliper. If it doesn't the issue is upstream

Try unplugging the wheel sensor or the ABS module itself to disable it after you open the bleed and relive the pressure, then see.
This is only to help diagnose it.
I will try that, However.... moving the car now is a problem.

Back