2008 Jeep Patriot, PTU and Rear Axle gear oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting ready to service the differentials on my Girlfriend's 2008 Jeep Patriot. The gear oil is supposed to be changed every 60k miles, but at 115K I'm willing to bet it's never been changed before. The owners manual says it takes "Mopart Gear & Axle Lubricant SAE 80W-90 API GL 5 or equivalent nonsynthetic product." Which is strange. I was considering using Mobil 1 or another synthetic like Amsoil, because I don't want to have to service these every 60K, and I figured Synthetic was better.

Anyways, I ordered a gallon of Lucas conventional 80w-90 gear oil because it was the cheapest conventional I could order on Amazon (30$ per gallon), but now I'm having second thoughts. For one I saw Supertech gear oil for 14$ per gallon at walmart. Second, I did a quick search on the forum here, and it doesn't seem that Lucas products are held in high regard.

Is there a reason I shouldn't run Synthetic Gear oil in this differential? Should I cancel my order of Lucas Gear Oil for a different conventional? If you were doing the work what would you put in these differentials?

Originally Posted By: Farmer
Originally Posted By: Rand
lucas gear oil is terrible. I'd go supertech over it in a flash.

+1

I canceled my order with Amazon, hopefully it goes through and I get refunded.

Does anyone have suggestions on what to buy in place of it? I think I only need about 2 and 1/2 quarts. Is synthetic okay in this application?

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: Rand
lucas gear oil is terrible. I'd go supertech over it in a flash.
whats wrong with it? It meets spec dont it?

It is GL5 like the car requires.

I was thinking Lucas made really good gear oils and racing oils (had read that here on the forums actually). If your Lucas gear oil order arrives,I'd use it without hesitation.

I thought gear oil was the one Lucas item the consensus here approved of. Don't believe everything you read on the internet. The vehicle calls for an 80w-90. Don't over think it. If the Lucas arrives use it. If not go to Walmart and get some Supertech. I doubt one is better than the other. No there is no reason to use synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back