2008 Honda Accord question

2008 Accord w/90k goes to Monro, a local tire and service shop for a winter oil change. They notice the upper control arm is “bad”. Oil change, replace upper control arm, 4 wheel alignment $425. Is that a fair price? Is the upper control arm a common failure?

I'd get a second opinion.
Not only regarding price, but even if the repair is necessary.

Midgrade part is $40 on rockauto, figure $80 locally, figure $160 with shop markup.

$150/hr, that's an hour to put it in, and an hour to align.

There's a ball joint built into that UCA as well as bushings-- both can wear. If you're in for a wandering front end, this could fix you right up.

Was the car in an accident or severely rusted? The control arm is a solid piece of stamped steel. It doesn't just go bad. What did they say was wrong with it?
It wasn’t in an accident but it did look like the alignment might be off for some reason. There was premature wear on the front right. It’s been so cold here I took their word for it. My tolerance for the cold is not what it used to be.

I am guessing what they mean by the control arm being bad is the bushings that are in it where it mounts to the frame. Seems lately it is cheaper and easier to replace the whole arm rather than remove it, press out old bushings and press new in. Especially if the ball joint is questionable too.. They can produce them cheap enough it is just easier and faster that way.

Seems lately it is cheaper and easier to replace the whole arm rather than remove it, press out old bushings and press new in. Especially if the ball joint is questionable too.. They can produce them cheap enough it is just easier and faster that way.
I'd rather replace the ball joint with a Honda part, even if it costs more that replacing the whole control arm with a cheap Chinese part that will go bad in a year or two.

Back