2008 GMC Sierra - AMSOIL SS 5w30 - 5300~ miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Pablo

Where did you get 3K? oil is at 5K. Si AND Na point to some type of dirt intrusion. Not native in Amsoil. Those moderate levels will not be reflected in higher insolubles. FP is low because fuel is so high. I mean if you want to blame the oil, go ahead, but it's not logical. Almost all tabulations and individual UOA's I've seen show Amsoil with about, if not the lowest Fe per mile. This UOA is just is not right.

Funny thing about UOA, spring coming, guy could put in any oil, drive differently, engine flushed out and get similar results - so what to think then? Or say, very different results?

Dunno, probably fat fingers if I had to guess. That debacle aside, 14ppm silicon didn't exactly raise red flags since it's used as a defoaming agent (and he did have the engine opened (not long ago)?) but tx for sharing the inside scoop that Ams uses none. So yeah, probably an ingress issue somewhere. The ratio of wear metals to silicon ppm still seems high from reports I've seen but what do I know...maybe that's more a function of this engine and the amount of fuel in the oil is having a (more) profound effect on the film strength, compounding the matter?? Either way I would not continue to use that oil/grade until the root cause is determined, like you suggested.

Yes, low cost oil, 3K intervals max.

I was not basing my comments on the Si alone.

IF he DOESN'T have a coolant leak, then the sodium needs explanation - previous oil, dirt, fuel additive, what??? If he DOES have a coolant leak, then there you go. Coolant and high fuel going to wipe an oil real quick, and the engine eventually.

Originally Posted by Pablo
Yes, low cost oil, 3K intervals max.

I was not basing my comments on the Si alone.

IF he DOESN'T have a coolant leak, then the sodium needs explanation - previous oil, dirt, fuel additive, what??? If he DOES have a coolant leak, then there you go. Coolant and high fuel going to wipe an oil real quick, and the engine eventually.

Agreed with all that. There is much unknown about the vehicle that would shed some light on this poor UOA.

Originally Posted by RomeroR
I'll be doing a head gasket test next week.

Good call... and you're doing another short run oil change with a UOA, right? If I may, what oil/filter did you use?

Fwiw, I'm not here to bash Amsoil.. that's not my goal. I think it's absolutely a fine lube and very capable. Just grasping at reasons for such poor test results.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back