Odometer at time of oil change: 42785.6
Oil used: 6.5 quarts Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 SM/GF-4 full synthetic
Filter: Motorcraft FL-820S
Top Up: none
Air filter: unknown
Date of sample: August 29th, 2012
Miles on oil: 4,293
Miles on vehicle at time of sample: 47,078.8
Oil Analysis Lab: ALS Tribology, Georgia branch, using a NAPA FIL 4077 sample kit.
Previous oil used: Motorcraft 5w-20
Current oil: 6 quarts Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 SM/GF-4 and one bottle of Lubegard Biotech.

2008%20Ford%20Fusion%20SEL%20-%204293%20miles%20-%20Pennzoil%20Platinum%205w-20%20SM.png

The results are far better than I had expected given that this oil was in use for nearly a year and a half. My dad intentionally avoided short trips so he could keep his average tank MPG up, and it definitely helped keep the TBN up there as well.

A year and a half or not, I am not surprised this oil held up well with that low of mileage.

I think there was a UOA on here before of an oil that sat for a long time (5+ years), and it was still holding up. Changing based *exclusively* on time seems overkill nowadays. It is, however, cheap insurance.

This is the oil I'm going to go with in the the wifes new 12 Ford Edge with the 3.5L V6. Looking to go at least 10K miles or more between OCI. Most of the Miles will be Highway. We will pay close attention to the OLM.

I have used M1 for 15yrs. It was really weird grabbing the PP of the shelf. Going outside the BoX is very hard some times.

Originally Posted By: -SyN-
This is the oil I'm going to go with in the the wifes new 12 Ford Edge with the 3.5L V6. Looking to go at least 10K miles or more between OCI. Most of the Miles will be Highway. We will pay close attention to the OLM.

I have used M1 for 15yrs. It was really weird grabbing the PP of the shelf. Going outside the BoX is very hard some times.

Your observations of PP after 15 years of using M1 would be very interesting to read. Things like engine noise, smoothness, etc.

I will report back... Thing is... The PP is going into a new auto... Never any M1 in it... I am going to change over my sons 08 5.4L to 5Qts of PYB and 2Qts of PP 5W-20... Just to mix it up... I will report back on the 5.4L.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back