2008 Focus Valvoline VO-25- way too long OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I randomly called my baby sister yesterday (25 yo) to say hello and we ended up talking about her oil. She said she needed a change, and since Valvoline charges her $80 I told her to bring it by today and I'd change it for her if she got the oil and filter.
First thing when I popped the hood and I see a massive mountain of crusty corrosion on the negative battery terminal. I didn't think to take a picture at this point. I took her battery out and cleaned it. I set that aside and had to scrub and scrub her terminal with baking soda and water. Soaking it and a wire brush got it almost perfect. Luckily the corrosion didn't eat the terminal away. After that I noticed the cause of corrosion. The plastic had split at the negative post. This is a 2015 Duralast Gold that AutoZone installed. They way over tightened it because it was pretty tight to take off. Luckily they warrantied it without a hassle.
As for her oil, the sticker said to change at 144k, and she now has 160k miles. Her finance changed the oil once for her since then, but not the filter because it was too tight. I didn't have the correct wrench so I used pliers. That filter was on there for over 20k miles but not sure how many. It wasn't pretty. I replaced it with a fram tough guard and valvoline synpower high mileage 0w20

Nasty oil change by JOHN, on Flickr

I certainly hope you gave her a good ol" BITOG whooping for this obscenity!
wink.gif

Tell her to download the MyCarfax app and scan (or enter) her VIN. It has an algorithm that tracks milage fairly closely and can give her notifications when it's time for oil change, tire rotation or if any recalls are currently open or if any are opened in the future. It's a great app. You can track up to 8 vehicles at a time. Very handy since I maintain basically my whole families vehicles. It also shows maintenance history from Carfax participating shops.

You can also add vehicles by plate number and I'll admit, it's made me a bit of a creeper. If I'm sitting in traffic or walking through the apartment complex I'll add peoples plate numbers just to be nosy and see the history on the cars.
eek.gif

Last edited:
There's always Walmart TLE for the pit stop oil change for $18. Using Quaker State oil, no real upsells, etc...

Even that would be better than no oil changes.

Originally Posted By: Throt
I certainly hope you gave her a good ol" BITOG whooping for this obscenity!
wink.gif

Tell her to download the MyCarfax app and scan (or enter) her VIN. It has an algorithm that tracks milage fairly closely and can give her notifications when it's time for oil change, tire rotation or if any recalls are currently open or if any are opened in the future. It's a great app. You can track up to 8 vehicles at a time. Very handy since I maintain basically my whole families vehicles. It also shows maintenance history from Carfax participating shops.

You can also add vehicles by plate number and I'll admit, it's made me a bit of a creeper. If I'm sitting in traffic or walking through the apartment complex I'll add peoples plate numbers just to be nosy and see the history on the cars.
eek.gif

When She comes to get her car I will give her a lashing. Her Fiance too. I doubt she will use that app, but I might. Thanks for the suggestion.

When it comes to E-core filters, I’ve done a 180° on them, and I think they’re a pretty good filter, compared to other entry-level filters.

Originally Posted By: CT8
What a nice brother.

Thanks. I try to be nice, but I also wanted to cut open her filter. Mine are boring. I wanted to see something for a change. I am waiting for my buddy to give me the first oil filter off his freshly rebuilt 5.4 Lightning engine. Cant wait to see that one.

That poor little Valvoline filter held up really well considering what it had to endure. I understand wanting to cut other people's filters mine are boring too.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
That poor little Valvoline filter held up really well considering what it had to endure. I understand wanting to cut other people's filters mine are boring too.

Yep. I didn't see any tears in the media, of course they could be covered up with sludge. I cut open my buddy's way overdone explorer filter this weekend and it had two tears. It was a Motorcraft FL820S.

As noted, all things considered the ecore not too bad. This one looks to have tight uniform pleating found in newer ecores, and more trusses in cage than earlier models. Other than too long fci, my concern might be the proper functioning of the bypass portion of the combo valve over that long an fci.

I had forgotten the Valvoline was using the old fram filtration filters (fram/champ), like WM TLE.

Nice bro to take care of sis.

Thanks for c&p.

+1; good job catching that one just in time.
thumbsup2.gif
UOA? LOL

Just wondering... Did you see any indication of decreased flow? Does she have a oil pressure gauge on her instrument cluster? Or did any "low pressure" lights flicker? Anything?

It's a addiction
smile.gif

I'm having withdrawals while on vacation in North Carolina
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: E150GT
Her finance changed the oil once for her since then, but not the filter because it was too tight.

Sounds like her fiancee needs to hit the gym haha
lol.gif

That Ecore media, end caps, & core stood up to everything that run threw at it.

Wonder if the combo valve was bypassing and if ADBV functionality was compromised? If so, how does compromised ADBV functionality affect BPV functionality on combo valves? These questions are in my mind on all oil filters that use combo valves, not just Ecores.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Her finance changed the oil once for her since then, but not the filter because it was too tight.

lol.gif

Needs to dump fiancée
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Just wondering... Did you see any indication of decreased flow? Does she have a oil pressure gauge on her instrument cluster? Or did any "low pressure" lights flicker? Anything?

There is no oil pressure gauge on that car. She said it was getting poor economy, but when I asked her, she couldn't tell me what the economy was so... No lights that she mentioned and the check engine light was off. This car doesn't have a maintenance minder, which I find interesting because it had all the same buttons and functions as the 2005 explorer, except no oil change reminder.

Originally Posted By: car51
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

lol.gif

Needs to dump fiancée
wink.gif

You know, he's a nice guy but he definitely needs to beef up in the auto department. He wears these weird clothes and is all hipster. You should see his white shoes he has. I think they belong to my sister
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back