2008 Civic LX Motor Mount Swap (Re-use Fasteners?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gathermewool

Site Donor 2023
I want to swap out the passenger-side hydraulic motor mount due to excessive vibration and rattling, which I suspect is due to the mount being torn or worn. Unfortunately, I suspect the previous owner never washed the car once in the 60k miles he owned it, because the entire engine compartment is full of corrosion. There are still no leaks and no painted surfaces are rusted (surprisingly,) but fasteners, tubing, etc. all show signs of corrosion. I'm worried that:

1. Everything will be rust-welded together. I plan to apply Deep Creep as much as possible beforehand, and I'll have a breaker bar, but that leads me to concern # 2

2. Everything is degraded to the point where threads may be stripped and heads will be rounded. I plan to use good sockets and use extreme caution while removing parts

Any suggestions would be great, even if you think they might seem more like common sense, I'd still appreciate any help you're willing to offer.

Also, with the above in mind, what would you suggest?:

1. If all fasteners come out easy, re-use and don't worry about it.

2. Purchase all new OEM fasteners for ~ $15 (add $10 with shipping and handling)

3. Purchase all new non-OEM fasteners (haven't looked up prices, but I'd guess cheaper. The only issue here, is whether Honda uses some unusual lengths for fasteners.

Thanks!

1. Everything will be rust-welded together. I plan to apply Deep Creep as much as possible beforehand, and I'll have a breaker bar, but that leads me to concern # 2

Deep Creep or PB Blaster. I've had had really good luck with PB Blaster in the past. I usually spray it on generously and let it sit for an hour or two.

2. Everything is degraded to the point where threads may be stripped and heads will be rounded. I plan to use good sockets and use extreme caution while removing parts

Some have found impact wrenches aid in the removing of rust welded parts. However my preference is to use hand tools with a breaker bar to get the bolt loose first and then use an impact to remove.

1. If all fasteners come out easy, re-use and don't worry about it.

Inspect the threads on all fasteners and nuts. If you don't visually see any damaged threads and the fastener/nut threads by hand then I would be confident to re-use.

2. Purchase all new OEM fasteners for ~ $15 (add $10 with shipping and handling)

$25 is not too bad for peace of mind.

3. Purchase all new non-OEM fasteners (haven't looked up prices, but I'd guess cheaper. The only issue here, is whether Honda uses some unusual lengths for fasteners.

I would stick with OEM fasteners and parts.

Thanks for the fast reply. FWIW, everything I've read online while researching the states that the pan-head fasteners need to be replaced.

LINK TO HONDA FASTENERS

Hopefully the link works, but here is the schematic/purchase page for the OEM fasteners. The stud denoted as E-13 (I'm not used to the page, but I think this is a reference to a different schematic, since this part isn't listed or priced below) is rusted the worst.

I'll probably try to wire brush "E-13" as much as possible, but I'd like to replace it as well, if it's not too much of a pain in the butt.

//

While I'm in the area I'll be replacing the serpentine belt for the first time. I've read that the auto-tensioner bolt used to be prone to snapping, but haven't seen any issues so far for '08+. Can any one shed some light?

If it's prudent, having the mount out would be the perfect time to do this job.

Pics? I find it hard to believe an 08 will give you issues.

Most mount bolts are grade 10.9 and usually hold up okay.

Is there something about the single use fasteners like a strike mark, nylock, or ???

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Pics? I find it hard to believe an 08 will give you issues.

Most mount bolts are grade 10.9 and usually hold up okay.

Is there something about the single use fasteners like a strike mark, nylock, or ???

Common problem - Google it. There's an indicator gap that provide indication of mount health. Mine is very contracted and looks to be touching. It sounds terrible, especially in the winter, and the vibration is pronounced at times..

All pan-head, no nylock and I can't believe that any would be stretch fasteners.

Last edited:
Yes-hard to think your '08 could be that bad. I'd use 6 point sockets anyway for that kind of work-am impact tool is handy too

Originally Posted By: Lapham3
Yes-hard to think your '08 could be that bad. I'd use 6 point sockets anyway for that kind of work-am impact tool is handy too

Oh, it is, believe you me. It's a common problem, though there are unfortunately many people who post with vibration issues, replace the mount, but still have vibration issues. As with any web forum, those who come in with problems, post a little and then disappear are the worst. If only every one who had a problem would follow through to resolution

Given your likely well founded concerns, why not simply source new hardware? A suitable hedge against angst whilst in there doing the deed.

Swapped some defective mounts recently in another Asian machine yet fasteners were fine. Different weather conditions 'round here though.
smile.gif

MiataMotorMounts.jpg

Yuck, that looks terrible.

It looks like there are a lot of new part numbers for this Honda, from mounts to struts. It makes me wonder if the initial 8th Gen Civic owners were used as test beds, and any parts with enough reported failures were updated. Are OEM rt numbers changed for vendor changes? If so, then maybe the superseded part numbers I see aren't for updates to faulty parts.

//

I just need up paying for new fasteners, nut and stud as a precaution. Barring any issues, I should save a lot of money doing this myself, so a little extra for new nuts and bolts won't hurt. I'll try to post a pic when I get the chance to show you how bad the corrosion is, and the basis for my concern.

Dropped the Civic off at the dealer to check for transmission control module updates (one was found, which will hopefully fix the slight Tranny quirks that have been bugging me since we bought the car.

On the work work order it stated, "performed a/t Trans software update NAA670. Pass side engine mount worn out can feel vibration from mount under load. Rec replacing pass side engine mount."

My wife picked up the fasteners from majestic Honda while I was at work today. I'll hopefully have time to replace it after work this week or next weekend, if I have off...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back