2008 Can Am Rotax 650 on my ATV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed the oil and went with MPT 30k brand 100% synthetic this last change. I have used this ATV for a dozen years now for plowing my driveway. I can count on the cooling fan to come on after about 15 minutes of use. I have used mostly Can Am branded oil over the years and it has never varied, fan ones on after about 15 minutes in all temperatures. The last few times I have plowed the fan hasn't come on until I am nearly finished, about an hour. Is it possible that the oil could make that much difference? Typically I use the Can Am kit with oil,filter and O ring. This time I bought the filter and o ring online and utilized 3.5 quarts of the MPT I had purchased for car that I no longer own, so I used it on the 4 wheeler. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by krismoriah72
Have you serviced the cooling system in 12 years?

Yes, a couple of times, the last maybe 3 years ago.

I have the same quad! I typically run either Amsoil 10w-40 motorcycle oil or 5w-40 diesel oil in it. I've had a lot of issues with overheating in the past. On a nice clear day, no problems. Mud though...ugh. Mud. Mud cloggs up the fins in the radiator and it overheats. I thought spraying it out would work. It helped but didn't fix the issue. I got a can of foaming air conditioner fin cleaner that worked fairly well. Eventually I bought a filter adapter https://www.mrrpmcycle.com/products/oiladapters.htm and a 10 row oil cooler that sits in front of the radiator. Hasn't gotten hot since.

Will oil make a difference when the fan will turn on? Not really. Then again I've used Amsoil Xw-40 for the last ten years.

Ran M1 0w-40 and installed a Hayden 3647 on my 2010 650. Really enjoyed the machine the years I owned it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back