2008 Buell Blast, @ 1300 mi, H-D 20w-50 Syn 3, ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a newby to motorcycles & I recently bought a used 2008 Buell Blast w/ @ 1300 miles; I had a full service done at a Harley Davidson/Buell dealer; engine & primary fluids changed & replaced w/ Harley-Davidson 'Screaming Eagle' 20w-50 Syn 3 oil; I have a few ???'s

1) I read on the internet that Citgo is the manufacturer...true or false?

2) I was told that service intervals are extended from @ 2500 miles to @ 5000 miles by dealer since the oil is 'synthetic'...would you go 5000 miles between oil/primary fluid changes?

3) whenever I check oil level with engine warmed up (per the owners manual) I see bubbles on the dipstick...what causes this & is it common?

4) I was told to expect some oil usage & to have extra oil available...is it okay to get something else like Mobil 1, Castrol Edge, or Royal Purple (20w-50 motorcycle oil) or buy the same H-D Syn 3?

thanks

Hey,

1) Yes.

2) Yea, you can go longer, I don't on my Harley though.

3) I see it on mine too. No issue.

4) Yes! Go with Amsoil. Much better. Want it to last? Forget the poo-poo'ers. Check Forums, look at the data, it's the best for your bike.

Here you go: http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mcv.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
The Genuine Harley Davidson Syn3 doesn't show well in the used oil analysis.

For that price, you would be better off with Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 or Amsoil MCV 20W-50.

These will also work fine in your primary/transmission.

Seriously.

Personally, I wouldn't run the Royal Purple, and certainly not in the primary. Some of their offerings are loaded with moly and may not play well with the clutch.

Alternatives include Mobil 1 15W-50 automotive oil and Valvoline VR1 Racing conventional 20W-50.

There are more - but these choices (as a whole) seem to give the best results for air-cooled Harleys.

By the way - The conventional HD 360 20W-50 is actually decent oil.

The Royal Purple moto oil does not have moly and has the JASO MA rating so its kosher with wet clutches. I have used it when it was on sale, but normally its about 18 bucks a quart locally so its just too expensive.

I have had good luck with the Mobil 1 offerings, as well as Valvoline's new 4T 20w50 synthetic I picked up at Wal Mart.

Yes, even though Harley has Citgo manufacture their oil, Harley has very high standards for their oils that need to be met. Use the HD Syn 3 and enjoy the ride.

Originally Posted By: Klotz1
Yes, even though Harley has Citgo manufacture their oil, Harley has very high standards for their oils that need to be met. Use the HD Syn 3 and enjoy the ride.

You are mistaken. Find a virgin oil analysis on both syn 3 and their Dino version. There are very few additives. It's extremely lacking in zddp. Their h-d branded oil is just like everything else branded h-d. Over priced.
Op
Red line,amsoil or even a good conventional,just change it sooner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back