2008 BMW 335i, Rotella T6 5w40, 7k miles

I added another gallon of oil over the past 1-1.5k miles due to an RMS leak so I'm not sure how accurate this is, but I am happy

the car has a flexfuel kit and usually gets 10-40% ethanol
08 BMW 335XI-210123.jpg

The engine has been removed from the car to fix the rear main (and a few other leaks) and replace the steering rack. It looks pretty clean for the miles it has:

IMG_1609.jpg

I put big turbos in this car around 170k and switched to rotella 5w40 at that time
It got M1 0w40 from 100k-170k miles (after I bought it)

always changed @6-7k

Ya not a fan of HDEO in a gasser let alone a turbo gasser but that's just my own opinion.
I thought rotella was supposed to be better for turbos?

I just wanted a thicker Xw40 that was ok in the cold

All modern euro passenger car oil will work well for turbo applications. T6 was really big with the VW diesel crowd who had to deal with poorly made flat tappets and it was cheap to acquire. HDEO's are typically formulated differently because they reside in a different operating (low RPM, high load) environment.

In any case I see that T6 in 0w40 is rated API SN so technically they offer flavor for dual use oil unlike their 5w40. It wouldn't use T6 5w40 in a racing/track environment.

Why you think that? HTHS is what matter not grade or how thick certain grade is. Thermal stability of oil is important. Oils specifically made for high performance gas turbo engines are much better choice.
Here is Porsche oil sump test simulating Nurburgring. This is part of Porsche testing for approval purposes. Rotella does not go through this as it is not designed for this:

Engine out for a rear main? I had the trans pulled when mine went. Fun fact: it was the first time I took my car to a mechanic, since I wasn't going to do this job in my driveway in January!

I've used Rotella in my n54 too. It's at 227,000 and didn't explode.

Engine out for a rear main? I had the trans pulled when mine went. Fun fact: it was the first time I took my car to a mechanic, since I wasn't going to do this job in my driveway in January!

I've used Rotella in my n54 too. It's at 227,000 and didn't explode.
Who said it will explode? But, considering CBU issues on N54, oil with that in mind might be better choice. Engines do not explode when you use oil not intended for engines like that, they just have some issues.

Just a question, why do you only run 10-40% ethanol if you have a kit, why not run only E85?

All modern euro passenger car oil will work well for turbo applications. T6 was really big with the VW diesel crowd who had to deal with poorly made flat tappets and it was cheap to acquire. HDEO's are typically formulated differently because they reside in a different operating (low RPM, high load) environment.

In any case I see that T6 in 0w40 is rated API SN so technically they offer flavor for dual use oil unlike their 5w40. It wouldn't use T6 5w40 in a racing/track environment.
HDEO is used long term in some of the highest RPM engines on the road (and track) with success. Someone made a foaming claim before, which is bogus, I personally kept the engine north of 10K RPM, stopped and looked to see no foam in the sight glass. If there is any supporting evidence that HDEO isn't good for a gasser, I'd love to hear it. And please leave the 800ppm vs 1000ppm phosphorous in Rotella oils that doesn't comply with the SN certification, one of few diesel grade oils that doesn't spec SN.

As far as the UOA goes, oil looks new, because it is. Get a sample when it all stays in the engine unaltered, I suspect the viscosity will be much lower, I'd not run it too long before knowing what the viscosity does. It's a modified engine, and I'd be weary of results the work well for others (OE).

HDEO is used long term in some of the highest RPM engines on the road (and track) with success. Someone made a foaming claim before, which is bogus, I personally kept the engine north of 10K RPM, stopped and looked to see no foam in the sight glass. If there is any supporting evidence that HDEO isn't good for a gasser, I'd love to hear it. And please leave the 800ppm vs 1000ppm phosphorous in Rotella oils that doesn't comply with the SN certification, one of few diesel grade oils that doesn't spec SN.

As far as the UOA goes, oil looks new, because it is. Get a sample when it all stays in the engine unaltered, I suspect the viscosity will be much lower, I'd not run it too long before knowing what the viscosity does. It's a modified engine, and I'd be weary of results the work well for others (OE).HDEO's use a polymer

As far as the UOA goes, oil looks new, because it is. Get a sample when it all stays in the engine unaltered, I suspect the viscosity will be much lower, I'd not run it too long before knowing what the viscosity does. It's a modified engine, and I'd be weary of results the work well for others (OE).
It was mentioned that PCMO are formulated with a better performing polymer (VII). There was a post about a year ago about the difference.

The foaming claim about HDEOs is pure ignorance. HEUI systems and turbos prove the anti foaming abilities of the HDEO oils beyond any doubt.

Just a question, why do you only run 10-40% ethanol if you have a kit, why not run only E85?
just because the mileage gets worse with higher ethanol - while it is cheaper than pump gas it's not cheap enough

thanks for the comments guys, honestly I have taken a few 3'ers past 200k on rotella and never had engine issues, just a lot of leaks (but show me a bmw that doesnt leak oil). I don't think I will be switching this car off of it

my wifes n55 x3 gets the LL01 motul, so maybe I'll send that in soon to compare ;)

Back