2008 Accord 2.4L New whine PS pump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, 2008 Accord 2.4L Auto, 92k miles
This morning we drove the car to church and I/we didn't hear or notice anything out of the ordinary. After church the wife took the car shopping upon returning she parked it in the driveway. I went out to move the car and immediately noticed that when I touched the gas I got a small brand new whining noise. The wife was standing there and also said "did you hear that" I had her touch the gas a bit as I listened under the hood it sounds like its coming from the PS pump? Fluid level is fine, here is a pic.
IMAG0847.jpg

the fluid isn't dark but it has a "burnt electrical/rubberish" smell to it? It isn't reddish like the new fluid.

I kinda need to drive the car to work tomorrow as it is supposed to rain tomorrow but I guess ill take the motorcycle...

What do you guys think? Whining makes me think its the bearing? If it was would I chew up the belt? The belt looks perfectly fine.

Or the slightly burnt smell has nothing to do with it and the alternator is going out....?

Its somewhere in the accessory drive. It could be pulley bearings, an overworking alternator or low/restricted P/S fluid.

When is the last time belt/tensioner/idler pulleys been changed?

How old is the battery? I've had a strong alternator whine after starting the engine when doing a lot of key-off loads.

Does the P/S reservoir have a filter? It could be restricting pump of fluid but shouldn't be that severe.

Check the things others have posted, if everything is okay the pump has probably had it.
Common Honda ailment at those miles.

history: belt/tensioner/pulley everything is original. I don't think there is a ps fluid filter...

battery is either original (6yrs old) or new when I got the car in 2011 (3yrs)
voltage after driving is 12.6...low? the battery has made it though this winter in chicago which was brutal.... i was planning on getting a new one before next winter if it made it through this one

in the middle of last summer I started to notice a bit lower idle and it was a tad rough when the car is completely stopped and in gear.

so maybe battery going out and overworking the alternator, causing rough idle and now a whine?

New OEM honda part is $317
remanufactured is $237

or would you just replace the bearings? they are like $20 each and there are 2 of them.

Last edited:
12.6 volts 6x2.1v is okay at rest but there is more to determining battery health than just resting voltage.
If i didn't have the equipment i would start with the basic maintenance items like the belt and idler/tensioner units or pulleys (100K is about their normal lifespan anyway) and have the battery and alternator tested.

I am all for putting bearings in the alternator if everything else is good like the regulator and brushes, diode trio, etc or i could get the service parts for it at a reasonable price.
As long as the field and armature/commutator are okay there is no reason not to to service it yourself if you can.

First things first though check it out carefully and find the noisy component. rotating part by hand with the belt off can many times reveal a worn bearing.

Not sure about the noise but 12.6v is too low unless the battery has been resting for 6 hours with no charge or discharge. A fully charged battery recentlyshut ioff should be higher.

I threw parts on a car that had a accessory whine issue. I bought a mechanics stethoscope to try to pinpoint the issue and it came down to the A/C pulley bearing making noise which I though was unusual because I was looking at common accessory drive problems (alt, p/s, idlers.)

Get a mechs stethoscope to find the issue.

Last edited:
True it should have a little higher surface charge if he shut it off and checked the voltage within a few min but something like an alarm system or interior lights can draw that off quickly.

I checked a relatively new battery in the Subaru and it has 12.7v within 10min after shutting down.
Like i said i would have the battery tested but 12.6 IMHO isn't low enough to automatically condemn it.

Our '08 Accord also developed a noisy A/C clutch pully bearing. Honda mechs couldn't find it. I identified it listening with a long socket extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back