2008 Accord 2.4L 4,044 PPHM 5w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been the original owner and typically changed the oil every 3-4k. Around 80,000 it started to eat oil sometimes topping it off 2q between oil changes. I truly do not remember which oil I used on this sample but I think it was PPHM 5w-20. The filter was Fram ultra synthetic, filter that stayed on for two OC. For replacement I placed another Fram US but went with PUP 5w-30. I'm at 2400 miles already and have only added .5q of oil. But traffic has decreased so I don't have to stop and go anymore since the oil change. MPG has increased too but probably due to less traffic. I drive 36 miles round trip 5 days a week 6 of those miles are city.

"This first report from your 2008 Accord shows it is in good health. Metals are low compared to the
universal averages. For the 2.4L engine, those are based on about 6,800 miles, and if you want, you can try
a similar interval (say 6,000-7,000 miles) next time, based on how good metals look after 4,000 miles. The
lack of contamination from fuel and coolant, as well as the good air and oil filtration (see silicon and
insolubles) also boast of this engine's ability to handle a longer run. The oil itself should be fine, since its
TBN of 2.3 means active additive

3F9DF1D5-E2DE-4B96-B635-F69DC10572C5.png

Last edited:
Originally Posted by LotI
Typical boring report of a K24. Fill it with olive oil and the report would be similar.

5W-30 olive oil. FYI !!

That's a wonderful idea. Should I go extra virgin or pomace olive oil? The later would be the best for cleaning the internal parts of the engine correct? I'm asking for a friend because you seem to be the expert in olive oil applications in K24 engines. I mean I wouldn't trust anybody else but you. I really do hope you have some educational information in regards to this subject. Thank you in advance for taking time out of your day to respond to my questions look forward to hearing from you.

Have you had a valve adjustment done yet??

Maybe that could be a potential issue there..

Or is your PCV valve plugged??

Otherwise... Your report looks really quite good... Oil is in grade.. no coolant evidence either.

Last edited:
It's a know problem starting in 2008 on the 2.4s that a quart of oil per 1,000 miles is "normal" per Honda. The problem are the piston rings sticking. There was a lawsuit blah blah so some owners received new engines or the pistons were replaced and the cylinders sleeved. I never jumped on that train for the lawsuit. This was my first time changing up the oil to 5w-30 just to see if it worked. Hard to say at this point because of other factors that weren't expected might be contributing to the decrease in oil consumption. It was nice to see that it was a "boring" sample being its first time looking at it.

I had valves adjusted at 124,772 along with plugs and a few others things for a tune up.
I had the VTC replaced in the past for a ticking noise on cold start ups for 2-3 secs. Replacement fixed that issue.
People have stated that PCV replacement has helped and others have not noticed any change. That will probably be my next thing to do.

I also have a 2008 Accord in the family. My moms car.. but it only has 55K miles on it.. and she only puts about 500 miles a year on it due to her rapid decline in health.

Yes you are correct this is a known issue on oil consumption.. but the problem lies in the rings as you stated.

If it were mine i would do a piston soak in Berrymans Chem Dip before each oil change. That is my plan if i take the car over at some point and it consumes oil.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
I also have a 2008 Accord in the family. My moms car.. but it only has 55K miles on it.. and she only puts about 500 miles a year on it due to her rapid decline in health.

Yes you are correct this is a known issue on oil consumption.. but the problem lies in the rings as you stated.

If it were mine i would do a piston soak in Berrymans Chem Dip before each oil change. That is my plan if i take the car over at some point and it consumes oil.

Never heard of the Berrymans will look into it thank you.

Another perfect PPHM uoa! Imo one of the best oils made. I started following PP uoa's here years ago when it first came onto the scene. It always blew away every other oil's uoa.

One thing I notice in all HM oils is low-ish zinc. Is zinc commonly in the 800ppm range in non-HM oils? I know Edge HM has about that same amount as this oil. Is low zinc the trend in HM oils to preserve the emissions systems? What do they use in place of zinc?

Originally Posted by Brolly
Originally Posted by krismoriah72

Never heard of the Berrymans will look into it thank you.

I say keep doing what you are doing what works for you, no need to change it. BTW, 4K OCI at 1 quart to add, that is not bad at all!

See https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...11-513-miles-mobil1-5w-30-ep#Post5286769 for a newer K24W Earth Dreams. The newest sample was 5w-30 Mobil1 EP. The prior two were 0w-20 Mobil1 EP. This engine has a mild fuel dilution problem so I Intend to only use 5w-30 going forward. I believe that the universal averages for this engine are based on 8000 miles, so the Aluminum and Iron are right on the mark for the last two samples. These metals accumulate with miles, so the higher numbers in the most recent sample are nothing to be concerned about.

As for olive oil, I don't think you could get a 5w-30 in the extra virgin variety.

Originally Posted by Astro_Guy
See https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...11-513-miles-mobil1-5w-30-ep#Post5286769 for a newer K24W Earth Dreams. The newest sample was 5w-30 Mobil1 EP. The prior two were 0w-20 Mobil1 EP. This engine has a mild fuel dilution problem so I Intend to only use 5w-30 going forward. I believe that the universal averages for this engine are based on 8000 miles, so the Aluminum and Iron are right on the mark for the last two samples. These metals accumulate with miles, so the higher numbers in the most recent sample are nothing to be concerned about.

As for olive oil, I don't think you could get a 5w-30 in the extra virgin variety.

That is one of the reasons I sold my 2.0T Accord was the dilution. That and the technology had quirks. I'm going to continue to change the oil every 5k. I have 2200 miles to go before I do change it. I would like the car to stop consuming oil all together but I will take a decrease in it for sure. So far the PPUP is holding up with over 2k on this change and only .5q to top off so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back