2008 2500hd 6l90e torque converter

I'm going to be pulling my transfer case this spring for a rebuild. It has a bearing making noise in 4x4. I was wondering if I should put a new torque converter in the trans while I have t-case out? I keep reading about these converters going bad and sending trash through the trans requiring a rebuild. What brands are good converters to use?

Clinebarger on here is the Hydramatic expert. Hopefully he will give you a good source.
At Allison we had good luck with Dynamic Manufacturing in Chicago.

Reactions: JC1
I believe Mr. Clinebarger agrees with preemptive torque convertor change. How many miles do you have on it? The 6.0 is easier on torque convertors than the 5.3 because it has no AFM system. However, with the transfer case out you are about almost half way to getting a the torque converter. As you know, pulling the trans is next. Also you might consider changing your rear main seal. Everything I know about it was passed on by Mr. Clinebarger. I have the exact same powertrain in my 3/4 ton 2008 Suburban. I am thinking of changing the torque convertor as well. One more hint on the torque convertor is to pull the transmission pan, see how much crud is in it the pan and change the filter. Then you can decide if it’s worth pulling the transmission.

Last edited:
The mileage is at 161,000. I had the pan off last year for a filter change. Everything looked fairly clean with no chunks or debris. The fluid was only slightly darker than the new dex vi that I out back in.

The converter clutch produces a very fine dust/debris as it wears, If you do regular maintenance & filter changes/cleaning the magnet & pan......You'd likely never notice it. I still can't tell a customer WHEN the first Domino will tip. All I have to go by is the average mileage this has happened which swings wildly.....Especially with 6L90E's used behind Non-AFM engines. If you had a 6L80E behind a AFM engine, I'd advise to have the TC swapped right NOW!

Back