2008 2.5 Jetta

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to figure out what oil I should run in the girls Jetta. Its the 2.5 SE model.

Lots of state to state and in town driving and it sits outside in the Minnesota winters.

Both Mobil 1 and Amsoil say to use the euro formula. One says use 5-40 the other 0-40.

I plan to do 5k changes and using Mann filters.

Thanks for the help.

I would suspect Mobil 1 0w40 will do just dandy.

I would personally only use German made oil filters in a German car, and more often thsn not in all my cars if i'm honest.

Originally Posted By: rraiderr
I am trying to figure out what oil I should run in the girls Jetta.

The one that's more readily available and cheaper.

In my youngest daughters 07 Beetle (third family member driving vehicle, 82,500 miles) I have used GC 0W-30, Valvoline 5W-40, Castrol 5W-40, Pennzoil Ultra 5W-40, Mobil 1 0W-40 and Mag 1 Euro 5W-40. (Might have left off a brand) Use any of the above with confidence.

Find an oil which meets VW 502.00, which is the applicable OEM standard for your car. Lots of choices exist for this standard. The M1 0W-40 and Amsoil EFM 5W-40 are two good places to start. Castrol 0W-30 (GC) also meets 502.00.

And yes, use a Mann, Hengst, or Mahle filter.

502 spec is usually a 40, but GC is an exception.

From experience in my 2.5s, GC seemed to run the "best"

Minnesota? I would go with 0W40. Pennzoil Ultra would do well but Mobil 1 will be easier to find

Originally Posted By: bigjl
I would personally only use German made oil filters in a German car, and more often thsn not in all my cars if i'm honest.

The 2.5 Jetta is made in Mexico.
21.gif

Any of these are VW 502/505 approved and readily available at auto parts stores:

Mobil 1 0w40
Castrol Edge 0w30
Castrol Edge 5w40
Castrol Edge 0w40
Valvoline SynPower 5w40

Buy whichever of those is on sale. That motor is not too picky.

Thanks a ton guys, think I will go Mobil One Euro 0W-40 as the local auto parts store has it and I have a rewards card so I can a discount.

Thanks a ton guys, think I will go Mobil One Euro 0W-40 as the local auto parts store has it and I have a rewards card so I can a discount.

Awesome! Sounds like a solid decision. Enjoy the oil change! I use that oil in three cars.

Last edited:

$25/5qt jug at Walmart, everyday price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back