2007 Yamaha V Star 1100 Oil recomendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 2007 V Star 1100. Previous owner has never changed the oil so I would like to get that done. I have some oil in my stash I would like to use up.

Would any of these be a good choice?

Delo 15W40
GTX 20W50
GC 0W30

I'd probably run a few shorter OCIs with the Delo to clean out whatever has been sitting in there. How many miles and years are on the current fill? How many total miles on the bike? What is the factory spec for oil?

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
I'd probably run a few shorter OCIs with the Delo to clean out whatever has been sitting in there. How many miles and years are on the current fill? How many total miles on the bike? What is the factory spec for oil?

Bike only has 12,000KM, and the current owner has owned it 1.5 years and put very little use on it. Not sure of any other maintenance history.

It has no manual with it, so I don't know what Yamaha recommends. I will use the Delo 15W40 for the first changes.

I also plan to change the final drive. I think synthetic 75W90 should work.

It looks like Yamalube 20w-40 is recommended. The Delo is a good choice. I'd probably use Rotella T6 once your stash is gone.

SAE80 GL-4 hypoid gear oil is recommended for the final drive. I like Red Line Shockproof, but a 75w-90 synthetic will do well.

Yamaha's are a bit confusing...the frame sticker will probably say 10w-30 or 20w-40 and the manual (whenever you get one) will most likely say 10w-40 or 20w-50 for the American market; this is what goes for my V Star 650...

the Delo 15w-40 should work ok, but be wary of clutch slippage...same thing with the GTX 20w-50; the only HDEO's I know of that have the JASO MA rating for wet clutch capability is Shell Rotella T 15w-40 and Rotella T6 5w-40, but theoretically any oil without an 'energy conserving' rating should work since they lack friction modifiers...

as an example I have a low mileage Suzuki GZ250 and I am using Pennzoil Long Life Gold 15w-40 hdeo oil in it that I had leftover from a scooter I owned until recently and so far the transmission is shifting smoothly without any slippage

final drive: 80wt hypoid gear oil is spec'd; I used a conventional 80w-90 Honda shaft drive oil for a few hundred miles and switched to Amsoil synthetic 80w-90 gear oil

Last edited:
Use Mobil 1 15w50, with an air cooled v-twin and shared sump, start with a 50 grade (for the summer months anyway). Rotella 15w40 would be fine for the cooler riding season, it'd hold up better than the T6 5w40.

I just changed it with the Delo 15W40. Oil was very black, but must have been changed at least once as there was a Fram filter in there. A real PITA to have to take the pipes off to get at the filter.

How long do people run oil in these air cooled motors? I was thinking 3000 Miles max, although I doubt I will get that much use out of in in one year.

Originally Posted By: Sonic
Use Mobil 1 15w50, with an air cooled v-twin and shared sump, start with a 50 grade (for the summer months anyway). Rotella 15w40 would be fine for the cooler riding season, it'd hold up better than the T6 5w40.

Agree

Last edited:
I would think summer temperatures in Ontario should be fairly mild; I would not be afraid of the Delo 15W-40 at all in your bike. It is good oil. I run it in both of my bikes, an '07 Honda Interceptor and a Shadow. Zero problems and the Blackstone analysis on the Interceptor look great/no wear....and that high rpm V-4 is very hard on oil. I have to keep around 2,000 mile OCI's in the Interceptor because it shears ANY oil, but your bike should be much easier on the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back