2007 X3si 5w30 7,500 BMW 5w30 LL oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
This oil was used through the super cold winter in Chicago and i had valve cover replaced few month back.
Some notes on the car, it has stalled once randomly while pulling out of a parking spot, no codes, and kinds is lazy starting sometimes.
1 QT of oil was added.
bmwoil2014_zps9720e84c.jpg

at the moment there is Schaeffer 9000 in it, will see how engine likes it in 7K miles LOL.
My G37 is coming up for an oil change in 1K with it as well cant wait to see the results.

Why is Blackstone flagging the viscosity? For a heavier Euro oil, it is just fine, IMO.

The spike in potassium is something to keep an eye on. And it's possibly what's causing the add'l metal levels.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Why is Blackstone flagging the viscosity? For a heavier Euro oil, it is just fine, IMO.

The spike in potassium is something to keep an eye on. And it's possibly what's causing the add'l metal levels.

They flagged on my M1 ESP UOA. It was at 11.81, starts at 12.21.
They should check viscosity before doing that. It is easy.

anything in particular i should check?

Are you losing coolant? Even if you are, the loss might be so small that you wouldn't notice. These engines tend to lose a bit of coolant, even if they don't leak it into oil. For now, potassium level is low enough that I would not worry too much, but if the next report shows an even higher number, then you might have a leak that's getting worse.

Also, you might want to find a lab that can do an actual antifreeze test, rather then just going by potassium/silicon numbers like Blackstone does.

What was your OCI before 47,000 miles? Were you always doing around 7,000 mile changes?

Did you do a break-in oil change?

Originally Posted By: kjbock
What was your OCI before 47,000 miles? Were you always doing around 7,000 mile changes?

Car was bought used @ 46K in 2011. Im assuming previous owner was doing the 15K intervals per computer

My last UOA on my 2004 X3 was performed at 156,000 miles using Rotella T6 and an OCI of 7250 miles. Iron was holding steady at 8 ppm as was copper(4 ppm) and lead(2 ppm). Nothing was flagged except the flashpoint(350F) and the oil stayed in grade. TBN was 0.9. Fuel hovers between 0.8% and 1.3%.

Originally Posted By: nighamreuki

Car was bought used @ 46K in 2011. Im assuming previous owner was doing the 15K intervals per computer

I would agree with your assumption on the previous owner's OCI. I highly doubt they did a break-in oil change as well. Thanks for the info.

I highly doubt they did a break-in oil change as well.

Of course they didn't. Break-in oil change is not specifically called for on most cars these days. Just wait till the first regularly scheduled service.

I highly doubt they did a break-in oil change as well.

Of course they didn't. Break-in oil change is not specifically called for on most cars these days. Just wait till the first regularly scheduled service.

Unless the car has factory "break-in oil", I'd rather not wait.

Pretty sure the X3 does not.

I doubt mine was changed out prior to my buying it as a CPO with 15k on the clock. Doesn't appear to have hurt it any...
19.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back