2007 Vibe sudden lack of heat

So wife drives an old 2007 Pontiac Vibe. Kind of a beater but it just keeps ticking along (looking to get her a new car soon as I have too many old vehicles to keep tabs on). So 2.5 weeks ago I drove it with her grocery shopping, heat worked fine. Couple days ago I borrow the car and notice the heat absolutely sucks. It's a cold Minnesota day, 16 degrees outside. Think it over for a day trying to determine what's wrong. Tell me what I found......

Wish I bought that Matrix. A 2010 X if I remember.

Bad control valve would've been my guess....but the OP claimed, "Was nice as I had over-thought it..."

the knob was turned to cold/blue instead of hot/red 🥶 :sneaky:

Is the heat hot when your foot is on the gas? Sometimes, the heat will work and blow hot air when you rev the engine but no heat/cold air at idle :unsure:

That often indicates air in the system. The Lisle coolant funnel is awesome.

And remember, the Vibe is a Toyota, so use pink Toyota coolant (Zerex Asian pink/red, Peak OET pink/red, or Pentofrost A4). Although the owners manual and online catalogs will say Dexcool/Deathcool, your car was filled with Toyota coolant from the factory.

You're telling us that 3 ounces low on coolant led to no heat?

No. That's not it.
This.

3 ounces won't make a difference, as the expansion rate alone is much more than 3 ounces (difference between hot and cold markings on the coolant tank)

You're telling us that 3 ounces low on coolant led to no heat?

No. That's not it.
All I know is the resevoir is very difficult to see through, which is why it got low and I didn't notice it. I added 3, maybe 4 ounces directly into the radiator and wolaa.....heat. I doubt I have a bad head gasket. I just didn't add coolant for about 3 years due to not being able to see through the resevoir. Time will tell.

'07 Vibe/Matrix doesn't have a heater control valve

I'd think thermostat, low coolant, or blend door problems

Have you checked the cabin filter lately, could be restricting airflow?

They are known for bad WP seals on the 1.8, the SLLC pink coolant seems to seep out of them (my mom’s ‘06 Matrix does), but it would have to get pretty low to start air locking the heater core. Throw a new quality radiator cap on it too, the xB in my sig lost coolant due to evaporation due to a leaky one. Or rent-a-tool a combustion gas coolant tester & get ready for a head gasket replacement…

All I know is the resevoir is very difficult to see through, which is why it got low and I didn't notice it. I added 3, maybe 4 ounces directly into the radiator and wolaa.....heat. I doubt I have a bad head gasket. I just didn't add coolant for about 3 years due to not being able to see through the resevoir. Time will tell.
Shine a flashlight into the top of it, preferably at night-then the level is VERY obvious. Use Asian or at least an AMAM coolant, green would shorten coolant life by quite a bit.

Back