2007 Toyota Yaris - Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 - 10,123 KM

Long time reader, first time poster with my first UOA.

This was originally my MIL's car that she used to drive 4 blocks to work every day, now used as my winter/daily. Have been running PUP 5w30 in it for over a year now, paired with a Fram Ultra Synthetic filter. Air filter is an AEM Dryflow.

Engine seems to like the oil, but the fuel dilution has me puzzled.

I drive this car for work, 160 km a day, 99% highway, which I had finished 20 mins before doing the oil change. Although its winter, and I've let it idle a bit, shouldn't the fuel burn off during the 45 minute trip down the highway?

I've run Redline SI-1 through it once already, but will be putting a bottle in on my next fill up. Spark plugs have have less than 40k on them.

The car doesn't burn any oil, but is it safe to assume the piston rings are on their way out?

@SRV2LOW4ME , what about this UOA makes you think the rings are on their way out?

The fuel dilution still being present after driving the car over 800 KM every week on the highway. The car might see 1 short trip in a month, which would still include 10 minutes of highway speeds due to living in the middle of nowhere. I would assume fuel dilution wouldn't be an issue in my situation, unless there was an underlying issue.

What fuel dilution ?
Absolutely nothing wrong with that uoa it shows trace amount of fuel , you worrying for nothing.

You're probably right. Dealing with my sisters Honda has given me anxiety at the mere mention of it, but with the amount of highway KM, it wasn't something I expected to have mentioned.

I'll try another UOA in the summer and see if it's mentioned again. In the meantime, at least I found an oil my engine seems happy with.

All engines show at least trace amounts of fuel in the oil.
Im willing to bet a summer uoa show the same in your case.
Now your sister honda ! thats a totally different animal than your yaris engine especially if its direct injected.

Long time reader, first time poster with my first UOA.

This was originally my MIL's car that she used to drive 4 blocks to work every day, now used as my winter/daily. Have been running PUP 5w30 in it for over a year now, paired with a Fram Ultra Synthetic filter. Air filter is an AEM Dryflow.

Engine seems to like the oil, but the fuel dilution has me puzzled.

I drive this car for work, 160 km a day, 99% highway, which I had finished 20 mins before doing the oil change. Although its winter, and I've let it idle a bit, shouldn't the fuel burn off during the 45 minute trip down the highway?

I've run Redline SI-1 through it once already, but will be putting a bottle in on my next fill up. Spark plugs have have less than 40k on them.

The car doesn't burn any oil, but is it safe to assume the piston rings are on their way out?

Great report. No additives. Run the 10k oci and save the uoa money.

Seems fine for a 230k engine. A little seepage of fuel past aged rings should be acceptable at this age of its life. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Run it without worry.

Some engines simply don’t get hot enough to really burn off anything. These tiny little motors are extremely efficient and cooled very well. It takes effort to get them HOT.

You have a port injected motor, unlike today's Hondas with direct injection that have fuel dilution problems.

I know, and with the amount of time the car spends on the highway, I thought it was odd it was even mentioned in the report.

Not that I'm overly concerned, its just my daily commuter. I just didn't expect it, and thought I'd get some input on the cause.

I would not be concerned that your rings are “on the way out” you mentioned it is not using any oil which would more of a tale tale sign if it was because that engine isn’t known to use oil.
I think you can chalk the little bit of fuel up to cold starts and not worry about it as it’s minimal and there’s nothing indicating any issue in your report.

I wouldn't worry about the trace of fuel-but if you have the OEM copper spark plugs, you're beyond the 30K change interval. I changed to iridium in my xB (same engine), they'll go 100K on those (no coil failures yet). Bad rings would equal low power, and oil consumption at the high RPMs the 1NZ-FE runs at, mine is 4000 RPM at 70 MPH/~110 KPH! Edit-forgot you were in KM, 40K KM is only ~25K miles, so you're not due for plugs yet.

Wear metals well in control; admirable.
Contamination nearly non-existent. Don't worry about a "trace" of fuel - it's meaningless.

You're probably right. Dealing with my sisters Honda has given me anxiety at the mere mention of it, but with the amount of highway KM, it wasn't something I expected to have mentioned.

I'll try another UOA in the summer and see if it's mentioned again. In the meantime, at least I found an oil my engine seems happy with.
That 1nz fe will run on just about any grade of oil. 10k kms is like 6,200 miles. I would go at least 12k kms oci's.

Back